Assignment question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi a very quick question i've had in a recent assignment?

can somone explain to me in fairly good detail the following question please?

explain why the product of an r.c.d rated operating current and earth loop impedence should not exceed 25v for this installation?

ok i know this much i think :p

the installation is 415v agricultural and also a TT system

the origin of supply is 500mA supply to unit is 100mA and distribution is protected by 30mA (im not really sure this is important)

i know the limit is 25v because its agricultural i also have the formula but i dont understand the question and dont really know what there looking for in my answer

can anyone help if the answer is already in this thread somewhere then forgive my but im obviously been quite thick eh?

anyhow thanks for any help you can offer

Sponsored Links
the product of the current down an earth rod and the resistance of the rod to earth (which can be conservatively approximated by the EFLI measured with the rod and a leccy board provided supply) gives the voltage difference between your rod and the general mass of the earth.

If this voltage gets above a certain level it can become dangerous both in terms of contact of people/animals with both earthed metalwork and the general mass of the earth and in terms of voltage gradiant in the ground. There isn't much that can be done about this voltage rising initially in a fault but the RCD should be sized so that when a dangerous voltage does occour it isn't allowed to remain.

thankyou very much, this might be just what i was looking for,

wish id found this site a few months ago i also have a problem with a motor question should i start a new thread for this?

thanks again

Sponsored Links
Superm4n - I'm going to tell your teacher that you're getting the guys on here to do your homework. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back