Astra Diesel 1.7 TD Vauxhall PD engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This car has only done 70,000 but seems to have a permantly open thermostat as well as a faulty rad fan stat.

Are these two faults linked, common or just an unusual coincidence?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile,a thermostat could fail in a year,so your mileage is not relevant.
If you think the 'stat is failed wide open(heater cold,temp gauge down etc)Then you need to get it fixed asap.so the engine will run warm and efficient.
You don't say what the symptoms are with the rad fan.I would doubt you will get hot enough to trip it with a open 'stat.If it is running none stop then there could be a faulty thermo switch on the rad or a shorted wire.
Normally,you can test the fan motor by disconnecting the wires from the thermoswitch,join them together and with ign. on the fan shoud run.
If that is ok,you need to stop with the engine idling after a run,as the heat soak takes place,the temp gauge goes up close to the red and the fan cuts in until the temp is normal again.

Thanks.

I am waiting for a clear day to replace thermostat and test fan/thermo switch as I dont have a spare housing gasket and might have to search or cut one out. It certainly is not operating as in a long motorway jam it almost boils.

Under those conditions even so the heater does not get massively hot. Will the heater get significantly less flow if the thermostat is stuck open or missing?

Tony

Sponsored Links
thermostat missing is not good , I had mine removed as a get-me -home by the AA.......and the car boiled twice in the 30 mile home journey :eek: .......obviously needed to direct the flow in a certain way ;) New stat fitted no probs for months now . also the fanswitch had years previously needed replacement ...apparently they are prone to failure on the astras.......other than that brilliant car over 6 years with us

Back