Country
United Kingdom
Make: Vauxhall
Model: Astra j
Engine size/Type: 1.7 CTDI ECOFLEX
Year: 2011
Mileage: 98k

Hello,

My Astra makes a squealing noise on cold start ups. The sound comes from under the hood and dissipates after 5 minutes.

I believe it could be linked to one of the belts.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue and knows of a remedy?

Happy to upload a video for reference if needed.

Kind Regards,
L

Sponsored Links
most likely the alternator. When you start up, it is under extra load recharging the battery.

Is also heard when you have been sitting at tickover, especially in winter with fan and lights on, as you drive away e.g. from traffic lights.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. The car has been sat on a drive for about three years with very little use, which has caused the battery to drain completely. I did charge the battery a few times and tried to keep it out of the car when away for a few months.

Would it be worth changing the battery, or is a new alternator the solution?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I’d start with a new ribbed belt before you do anything. Batteries that have drained completely and have over-wintered are normally beyond recovery.

Last edited:
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. The car has been sat on a drive for about three years with very little use, which has caused the battery to drain completely. I did charge the battery a few times and tried to keep it out of the car when away for a few months.

Would it be worth changing the battery, or is a new alternator the solution?

Cheers
New belt is cheaper, examine it for age hardening or cracks.

Hi,

The belt is stiff and has very little give, it doesn't look to be in bad condition to be honest.

I uploaded a video of it on youtube if you wouldn't mind having a look.

most likely the alternator. When you start up, it is under extra load recharging the battery.

Is also heard when you have been sitting at tickover, especially in winter with fan and lights on, as you drive away e.g. from traffic lights.

I meant the alternator belt is slipping

not a faulty alternator.

clean off any grease or dirt from the pulley after you get the old belt off. If there is any, it may promote slipping.

The new belt might need tightening up after you have driven a few hundred miles.

I have found a guide on replacing the belt, it looks like it would only take a few hours.
More like ten minutes! Just draw a diagram on a piece of paper showing all the pulleys and the path that the belt takes around the pulleys or you’ll be there all day trying to work out how it goes back on!

The belt is stiff and has very little give, it doesn't look to be in bad condition to be honest.
It’s not to do with the stiffness. It’s more to do with the friction between the belt ribs and pulleys. An aged belt will have less grip onto the pulleys.

Slightly off topic....a Lotus Elise has been parked up for two years, the alternator belt was new then.
As I tried to turn the engine over, the belt immediately snapped and flung itself off.
I didn’t expect that!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back