Vauxhal Combo squeling noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just a quick question. I have an N reg vauxhal combo van and recently it has started making a high pitched squealing noise when it first starts up. This noise continues for about 2 - 4 minutes or until the engine is warm. The more the revs the louder and higher pitch the noise. I have heard this noise before on other cars etc and have heard it may be the fan belt?. Can anyone confirm this or point me in another direction so I can get to the root of the problem and sort it. Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Yep - the alternator belt right enough....on the first start up from cold there is a hell of a load on the alternator, hence the belt squeal.
John :)

Thanks for your quick replies and I am glad that it isnt anything too serious. How can I rectify this noise, is it a case of getting a new fan belt fitted, oiling it or just living with it. Once again your help is appreciated. Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Hi Rob
I'm not sure how you tension this particular belt, but I think the alternator itself pivots to tighten things up. Once the alternator bolts have been slackened, its a case of levering the thing up until the belt is tight. If the belt is old, then fit a new one.
Some systems have a separate tensioner that moves and the alternator is fixed, but I don't think thats your case.
John :)

Hi John thanks very much for your quick response. I will be giving it a go tday and will post the outcome asap. So yet again thank you very much and evreyone else on this fantastic site for all you help and advice.

Back