Astra - how do I fix a faulty ball bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advice I have discovered that the ball bearing on my front right tyre is starting to go. It is making a loud groaning noise when driving and you can feel the wobble when jacked up. I have an Astra G 2000 hatchback 1.8 CD.

I was after some advice on how to go about getting this fixed? and the relative costs?

I may need to drive with it for a couple of weeks yet, apart from the iritation to drive, will this cause any serious damage to the car?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The wheel bearing comes as a hub unit on this model (you do not need to press bearings in or out) The hub is bolted in, although "torx" type bolts are used. You need to remove the wheel, brake caliper, brake disc, drive shaft split pin and nut, seperate the bottom ball joint, knock out the driveshaft from the hub, and remove the 3 mounting bolts for the hub unit. An easy job compared to the old type bearings but the bearing is more expensive (£100+ if i remember correctly) If you are going to diy, you will need to know if it has abs, and a speed sensor on the bearing

Back