Astragal bars (aluminium)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'm getting aluminium bifold doors and was considering duplex bars with astragal bars.

I've heard that astragal bars can sometimes fall off. Is this a common problem? And has anyone any idea how many years they'd last before this might happen (roughly)

That part of the house does get the sun quite a bit in summer so I'm a bit concerned that the adhesive could soften... but on the other hand they do make the doors look more interesting, sort of like crittal style doors.

So basically I can't decide whether to have plain glazing or the bars. I'm not keen on georgian bars that go inside the glass.

Sponsored Links
I like to admire the garden/view without encumberance.

Sponsored Links
I'm in the same process at the moment, but trying to decide between Crittall style aluminium French doors with transomes and those with the duplex bars and astragals. I think it will come down to price and ease of fitting.

Chap up the road had a new bifold put in, he's had horizontal bars (it's an aluminium construction).
Personally they look too wide/heavy and badly proportioned to the doors, especially if you are comparing to crittal doors.

I'd go plain.

I had one astragal bar come loose on UPVC flush casement window, but it's get's mullered with sun. It took around 3 years to work loose,
Long term fix glue on with Puraflex.

So basically I can't decide whether to have plain glazing or the bars. I'm not keen on georgian bars that go inside the glass.
If the cost difference is minimal you could order them un fitted, then do a compare before/after with temporary adhesive and see if you like them

Problem with ordering un fitted is astragal bars don't look right without the ' Duplex ' unit that divides the bigger unit to look like smaller units. And you can't have a Duplex unit without astragal bars.
It's down to personal opinion... years ago I would have said avoid due to them falling off all the time but manufacturers have final got on top of that,some do still fall off but not nearly as frequent

My doors currently have georgian bars inside the glass but the glazier used woodgrain effect with white clips and I wasn't happy. Now the units are being replaced I'm thinking either plain glass or astragal bars. I guess the main thing putting me off the bars is the chance if them falling off. Those doors do get a lot of sun in summer so will get hot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230312_192613_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230312_192613_Gallery.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20230312_192637_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230312_192637_Gallery.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20230312_193133_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230312_193133_Gallery.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20230312_192857_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230312_192857_Gallery.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 71

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back