At what point are we 'old'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting fed up with younger people (teens to ~20 years old) lecturing older people about our failings on the environment, Brexit etc and how we've created a problem that 'their generation' will be left to deal with. Even the politicians are at it, saying we need to 'pay more now' to ensure future generations aren't left to foot the bill.

You see it quite frequently now e.g. on political debate shows and the news. A teenager will say along the lines of 'I'm 17. It's older people that have caused the current climate crisis but it's my and future generations that will have to deal with the consequences.' Or 'I'm 17, I was too young for the Brexit vote and I'm disgusted that older people have voted us into this situation.' Or 'I'm 17, I was too young for the (Scottish) independence vote last time round. It's only right that I should now have a say.'

It's obviously great that young people are interested in politics, the environment etc, however I do wonder what they class as 'old' when they refer to older people usually in a negative way. It wouldn't surprise me if they consider anyone 40+ as old. Further, for those of us that are 40+, we've still theoretically got decades of life ahead of us, so to an extent (with near-medium term things) we also have to deal with them whether good or bad.

Also, there is part of me that thinks 'ah, the ignorant bliss of youth.' Many (most) of these people have yet to deal with the realities of life. It's fine to chastise 'older people' for perceived wrongdoings when you've yet to be faced with making decisions as an adult.

Finally, they (all of us actually) seem to conveniently forget we are all benefiting in various ways because of sociopolitical and industrial decisions made over past decades. It's easy with hindsight to say things like 'the industrial revolution has a lot to answer for!!!' but surely most of us in the developed world have benefitted from such points in history?

In summary, I would say to young people those of us aged 40+ still have decades to live. Most of us have been contributing to society for years and have earned the right to vote and make decisions. They themselves might be faced with difficult decisions as they get older and discover life isn't quite that straightforward.

Sponsored Links
It's usually when you hear a bit of music from the charts and tell 'em to "turn that bloody racket down":p

I'm getting fed up with younger people (teens to ~20 years old) lecturing older people about our failings on the environment, Brexit etc and how we've created a problem that 'their generation' will be left to deal with.

And do you say they are mistaken?

Sponsored Links
And do you say they are mistaken?
I say things progress. With hindsight (always a great thing) have all developments over the past century been positive for the environment? No, only a fool would say otherwise. However I'm confident as the next few decades roll by, progress (in technology etc) will find solutions ... even if the solution is going to live on Mars with Elon Musk ;)

No youngster, actually no one regardless of age, is going to make me feel guilty for having central heating and a diesel car.

You're old when you start moaning about young people.

You're senile when you forget that the previous generation said the same thing about you.

The problem is that many are fighting business and that must go on leaving no rapid solutions and also delays in doing anything about it. Trump for instance is a sceptic.

There is also a lack of clarity. Some countries produce way more CO2 than others. Some export a lot of the goods that produce it. This changes the true picture. There appears to be an attempt to change countries - 3rd worldish that don't produce much at all and will have problems changing.

The solutions have problems as well. Interesting broadcast about property developers. One was producing new1 bed maisonette with a running cost reckoned to be £50 per year. High end heat pumps and insulation. Heat pump just producing enough to make up for losses which means when needed they wont be turned off as the heating rate is too slow. Underfloor as ideal for that. Heat pumps very new and claiming 5 to 1 efficiency. Another lot looking at upgrading thier existing stock to get ahead of building regulation changes. They are due a very significant change by some date. The upgrade and purpose builds do not come cheaply. Are they going to accept less profit or say well your heating bills are low. Solar - purpose designed not bolt ons to existing roofing.

I've only heard one gov advisor speak on the TV. The other solution. You have your heat pump and your gas or oil boiler and only turn that on when needed. The degree needed will depend on the amount of insulation added. Underfloor is ideally needed. Rather a lot of it.

:rolleyes: Sunak - offering leases for off shore wind places. I wonder what leases means?

It's usually when you hear a bit of music from the charts and tell 'em to "turn that bloody racket down":p
So about 35, then?

...no one regardless of age, is going to make me feel guilty for having central heating and a diesel car.
I used to think that before I stopped and thought about the effect my way of life was having on the environment. It was an interesting exercise. I am no "hair shirt" (at least on the environment) but I have happily cut out a lot of the things which have the greatest impact - including flying everywhere (work and holidays) and non-essential vehicle use - and reduced my stress levels at the same time. However I do draw the line. I'm still a meat eater (the veggies can take their bean curd elsewhere), but I don't eat much red meat - it has to be said that is the effect of BSE - and I am concerned about animal welfare in the time before I eat it...

It's all a scam.
Climate has always changed, even before humans walked the earth.
Sometimes changing at much faster pace than now.
CO2 levels have been a lot higher before we started measuring and this created better environment for plants.
As a consequence plant eaters became very abundant and so did their predators feeding on them.
The fact that this doesn't suit us, doesn't mean that the planet is suffering.
We should be very concerned if climate stopped changing: that would be the end of the blue planet.
We should concentrate on plastic pollution, the real devil of our times.
Air pollution will not be stopped by electric cars because to mine and build their components we pollute more than using ice vehicles.
This is a solution, salt batteries, but somehow nobody up there wants to know about this and develop the technology further.
There's no money to be squeezed out of us for one of the most abundant and totally biodegradable resource, so the big scammers don't invest in it.
Same for the hydrogen.

You are talking prehistory, johnny. Still, it doesn't matter - Exxon have obviously had their money out of promoting the "climate change debate", as your posting proves

Al Gore estimated wealth standing at $300 million and senior advisor to Google doesn't look to be open to having his mind changed any time soon, I mean why would he.

'Old people' often envy/dislike the young because they still have a life to look forward to...

And they often make the wrong decisions that they think are in their own interests, not in the interests of coming generations....

I still have probably 90% of my political/lifestyle views as I had when I was a teenager...

So I shall grow old disgracefully whilst doing right by those to follow us!

The majority of people I have met that have told me they voted Brexit have been 80+.

Sponsored Links
Back