At what point is this uneconomic to repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Sony KDL-32EX603

Second born cracked the screen.

It can be replaced, but at what cost is it better to bin it?

I.e. does its quality, features etc merit a £200 cost, or can I get better replacement TV for cheaper than the repair?

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Thats a modern day dilemma, once you take it out of the showroom it becomes obsolete and there is a better model
it depends mainly on how long you have had the current model if its worth repairing

It depends on the uniqueness of the device.

Currently there's no direct equivalent from Sony for your EX603. The stand-out feature of that 2010-year TV was the 4 HDMI sockets. It's hard to find that on 32" TVs any more because they're so rarely used as main lounge TVs. 32" has been relegated to the kitchen/bedroom/kids room so there isn't such a strong requirement for the expense of a lot of connectivity.

The closest in a new Sony is the KDL32WD751 at £320. Depending where you buy you can get that with a 5 or 6 year warranty. That's your bench mark.

In the past Ebay has been littered with people selling LCD panels for all sorts of TVs. So far though, a little light searching hasn't thrown up anything for your EX603. That either means that new supplies are being restricted to authorised repair agents only, or they've run out. Either way, unless you drop on something incredibly lucky, you're probably going to struggle to get this fixed with a couple of simple mouse clicks to order a part. Your option then is to open the back and search online from any of the part codes you find on the panel. It may be that it's not a Sony but another make, so searching by the part number might turn up some cross reference that gives you LG, Chi Mei, AU Optronics or some other brand.

If you're comfortable doing a DIY repair and can get the panel for under £150 then personally I'd say it's work it. Those 32" TVs for under £250 are, for the most part, made by 3rd party suppliers who simply stick a name badge on to their generic design. Be careful too buying anything with Saorview. It's okay if the TV is pan-European and designed to work in the UK as well as the Republic of Ireland, but living in Staffs as you do you wouldn't want to get stuck with something that doesn't understand the UK transmitter network.

If this and any other posts helped you, then pay the authors the compliment of hitting the thanks button. It shows your appreciation and marks the reply for those looking for answers in the future.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

For the greater part, to me it seems such a waste to throw what must be 95% working components into a skip.....

I'll have a look for any recycling place that might want it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back