Atag A325 drenching in condensate when cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So this winter was much colder than usual and apparently my boiler can't handle it.

When the outside temperature dipped below -5 degrees C, my boiler started having intermittent fan errors. When the engineer opened up the boiler, it was drenched all over and there was a puddle of water resting on top of the fan housing. The engineer explained to me that this is likely to be due to to the cold outside air hitting the warm boiler (not exactly sure why that would cause the condensation).

The boiler is installed in my loft and the flue goes through the wall at 90 degrees. The loft temperature at the time was around +10 degrees C. The previous winter was 'warmer' so had no such issues.

I've been trying to get Atag commercial to help explain/prevent this issue but the best response I got from them (after I cought them lying a couple of times) was as follows

Unhelpful Atag employee said:
There is no way in reality that this type of problem can be prevented. It most probably occurred under exceptional circumstances a may not occur again.

The only suggestion would be to run the boiler 24/7 so it does not get cold and condensate does not form inside the boiler.

Not very economical.

The engineer that came over to investigate mentioned he'd seen this before and that it might help if the air intake was in the loft. That would require a special flue (can't remember the name) that would need to have the exhaust go through the roof.

So is this normal? Is it an issue that all boilers have?

Sponsored Links
explained to me that this is likely to be due to to the cold outside air hitting the warm boiler
or to put it another way, he hasn't got a bloody clue

If your condensate isn't draining then the best place to look would be your condensate drain. If the condensate is draining back into the intake the flue needs looking at.

Vertex flue?

Yeah - engineer not correct in my mind. Post above is quite correct.

Check condensate is draining if it is then a flue integrity check would be next stop.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back