Atag A325EC or Vailant eco831 combi - your thoughts pls

Mickey thanks for your reply but an approx 8 month trail is not the answer i was looking for.

People would have said kestons where ok after such a short period as would the latest advocate of Atags gas4you would have said about ideals for a bit longer and has been saying about valiants till he has recently changed .

not being funny but find that lee does not lie or bull on here umlike so many others here and in CC

I know what your saying, but I know of other people who have been fitting them for alot longer without any problems. I'm very careful about how I choose the boilers I install, they can make or break your business. I did alot of research and spoke to alot of people who have been using them for much longer and who's opinions I trust. Granted I didn't choose them solely on reliability, as other aspects of the boiler are very attractive as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
I found another fun bit of info while I wait for someone to actually explain how the ATAG is so much better than anything else on the market.

ATAG boiler efficiencies should not be compared with most figures quoted for UK boilers, including SEDBUK. ATAG use a different method of calculation, leading to efficiencies approximately 10% higher (for natural gas), and hence in some cases greater than 100%. You can read about net and gross calorific values if you're technically minded.

What I do for a living, Gasman and others, is troll boards like this full of people who like to brag about how great this or that is, but don't actually have a clue. Or if they do have a clue, they're too up themselves to tell the rest of us. Does that answer your question?

ATAG quote an efficiency of 98% for the top boiler in their range, which appears to actually mean 88% in figures most people would recognise. Yet this is what the CH would achieve when not even condensing. And other boilers described as condensing in DHW mode (eg. some Worcesters, Atmos, etc.) are no better and mostly worse. How so? Cold in, hot out is ideal for condensing efficiency, so why isn't it there? Is it being lost by passing the heat through a plate heat exchanger? Are they simply not bothering to size everything to work efficiently that way?

You really are stupid. Look at the damn boiler. Its so simple a 5yr old could understand it. The boiler is similar in efficiency to many others. However they've stuck a heat exchanger in the flue outlet which captures waste heat to preheat the incoming cold water. As i said above and you ignored because it clearly doesn't mean anything to you. I measured the flue temp at 23c on hot water. Now go and do the same on yours it will be higher.
Look at the flow rate for hot water at 35C delta T. 15l/min. Now find another boiler that does the same, say for example a WB37CDI at 15.1 l/min, but wait hold on thats a bigger boiler but same flow rate?? wow thats really hard to understand FFS.

now wheres that troll spray.

Ive been familiar with Atag for 14 years, but back then they were resold through a company called Atlantic 2000 who are based in the North. Atag have had an office in the UK since( I think) April 2004, when the energy efficiency rules changed to make it necessary to installed only band A/B only. Since around that time I have installed only Atag other than a couple of Glowworms and a WB. I stopped installing Keston around 2004 too :D

Failure of any components has been very low and like MickyG I do warranty work. Off the top of my head and totally not scientific in 7 years in my installs and warranty work I would say I have replaced a couple of fans, maybe 5 control pcbs and 10 pressure sensors. The pressure sensors have been sensitive to dirt in the system and it goes without saying there has to be a system filter and system water must be cleaned. A magnetic filter is a must.

I think that the numbers explain themselves and why Atag don't need an army of employed engineers unlike other major players in the market.

Out of interest none of these parts take more than 20 mins to replace. Certainly not like some boilers where you have to be a contortionist or remove half the boiler to replace a part.

The heat exchanger is the same design as 13 years ago. They redesigned the sump in the change between the old premier/blue angel to the E/Q series. This allows the sump seal to be removed and replaced if required.

I have seen some people don't like the style of the cases, but thats a personal choice and none of the customers I have installed them for have made any negative comments. The main advantage I see is that parts are spaced for easy access.

Namsag,sorry for the delay...bank holiday sunday boozing.

I can agree with whats been wrote above.Personally weve been fitting them for about the last 3,3.5 years.They originally came on a spec for a laboritory and since then weve always tried to push them where we get the chance.Domestically we find them hard to sell,the performance and quality speak wonders,its a un familiar name that puts people off.

Not had many issue except pressure sensor which is common to most systems once a little degredation of the system content starts to happen.Some people early on moaned about the heat ex,they claimed to have probelem with the bolts snapping and the bolts and hex rusting but i've not seen that.

The heat engine,software etc is common to a few boilers that are pretty much identical possibly made in the same factory or designed by the same team.One of those similiar brands i've been looking after and installing for nearly a decade with no major issues.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but my only critism of its design is... i dont like the place shroud that covers the ev,size is a major issue when trying to fit in a house,the new fullbore valves are pants..the built in drains on the valves and the sizing makes them impossible to fit directly to the boiler tails so you either chuck them away or have to spcae them apart.By ATAGS own admission they werent the valves they wanted but thats the ones the factory sent over.

weve been vaillant approved for over a decade,i started on the turbomax,ecomax and tec plus.theres been more issues with all of these models than any atag.i dont need to run through vaillants design faults theyre common knowledge.

lee

Sponsored Links
ive fitted both vaillant and atag. i like the simple design of the atag, as mentioned before you can get to everything really easily, no stripping major parts away to get to something else. the plastic casing is marmite, personally i like it, not everyone does.
not everything in life is about percentages, pie charts and massaging figures for shiny brochures, the atag is a product that inspires confidence, a good solid machine with proven parts. the company dont try and loose themselves at the end of an unanswered phone, the tech guy you speak to has a direct line to the factory and will sort any problems.
they are a small player, but to many people in this country installers and homeowners alike, names sell boilers. people havnt heard of atag so they are cast aside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back