Aternative to 152 x 152 x 30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

After a little advice around a universal beam (bear with me).

To cut a long story short, some of our flat roof on the extension needs replacing so I'm taking this opportunity to completely renovate it all and also add skylights, insulation etc.

We have had structural calculations by a qualified engineer for supporting a pitched roof over some bi fold doors, however instead of creating a mis-match of roof structures (as we didn't plan to replace all of it with pitched, don't ask!), we have decided to make it all warm flat construction.

So, the actual dilemma: The engineer has advised a 152 x 152 x 30 beam to support a pitched roof with 2 skylights, however, we are now opting for a lighter flat roof and as such the beam may be a little overkill. I would normally roll with it, as its better to be over cautious, however, I want to carry on 3 or 4 courses of bricks above the bi-folds and for the life of me I can't work out how to integrate a 152 x 152 into the structure.

The wall that the steel will rest on is a solid 225mm brick wall with zero cavity, so my plan was to have a 203 x 102 x 23 sitting on the inner course of bricks, with a 203mm plate welded to the bottom which will allow a platform for me to lay some bricks onto.

The other option is to have a 203 x 203 which will allow me to build inside the I / H of the beam, but again I'm struggling to see how it'll work with the 3 or 4 courses, as 203 high wont divide equally the standard brick size of 65mm high.

I just wondered what is a 'normal' solution for a 3.5m span on a solid brick wall. The ability to build a course above isn't a deal breaker, as long as there is a suitable alternative.

Hope that is clear?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Sorry, what's the reason you can't ask the engineer again?

Whoops, forgot to add that bit.

I had the calculations done about 6 weeks ago, but he’s in America now and is there for 5 or so months, does it every year apparently. Not a bad way to earn your crust, 6 months and on 6 months off.

I did send him a message not realising and he told me he’s away till mid Feb so won’t get much out of him now.

Sponsored Links
Just be carefully of thermal bridging, you don't really want a nice conductive bit of steel passing through your insulation layer! Try to put the steel either inside or outside if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back