athlon 64 faulty locking arm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of a pc rebuild using an Asus main board and an Athlon 64. The CPU came with it's own amd fan. The problem is that try as I might I cannot get the plastic locking arm on the heat sink to go down. I can get the metal bracket to lock over the retaining lugs which seems to secure the heat sink perfectly well but the arm just will not go over. I'm at the point where something will break if I push any harder

I have had the fan and heat sink off and it's clearly been on the processor properly and the processor is in its socket properly, it just seems to be a faulty locking arm

I have put it back on with new thermal grease and it seems to be firmly locked down again. Given that the bracket seems to be locking it ok does any one here have any views on what I should do. My instinct is to ignore it, leave the locking arm up and just carry on but i'm worried i'm missing something obvious or doing something daft. This is the 3rd machine i've built with this design and I've never had this problem before

Any help gratefully received

Sponsored Links
I changed the MB and CPU in mine a few months ago. That was an Asus board and an AMD 64 CPU with a standard amd fan. I too noticed that there seemed to be something different about locking it down and I too was worried about breaking something. In the end I just pushed the lever arm past the retaining lug and secured it that way. It was quite hard to do and I'm sure it's not really the right thing to do but I couldn't see another option. I could post a pic if you like but I'd prefer not to have to take the side off the pc unless i have to. Let me know.
Gcol

gcol said:
I could post a pic if you like but I'd prefer not to have to take the side off the pc unless i have to.
Hm, yes - those sides are a devil to get on and off, and might even have to use a screwdriver and everything :rolleyes:

gcol said:
Let me know.
Er, let you know what? Whether your problem is the same as pickles'? Or whether you've successfully hijacked this topic, perhaps?

Sponsored Links
I don't have a digital camera so I can't post it. I've looked again really carefully for ages with a bright light and the heat sink is definitely down firm. I've taken it of again and the thermal grease was completely smeared over the processor so i'm putting it back together again and am going to boot it up, let's hope it doesn't go bang

Thank's for the input, hopefully I will be back on the new machine

Softus,
I wasn't posting for your benefit but I will answer your questions anyway. I was meaning that I could post a pic of how Ii fastened my heatsink down if pickles didn't follow what I had done from my description. I know it's not that hard to take the side off the pc but in my case it means disconnecting numerous cables to bring the case out of the pc desk.
How you could think I've hijacked the thread is quite beyond me.
I find your post juvenille and rude, please try and act like an adult in future. You have added nothing of value to this thread.
Good day sir.

Pickles, I didn't ask you to post a pic, sorry if you misunderstood my post. Good luck with the pc.

There's not much gap between the frame and the heatsink. Make sure the heatsink is not clipping the frame.

gcol said:
Softus,
I wasn't posting for your benefit but I will answer your questions anyway.
Thank you.

gcol said:
I was meaning that I could post a pic of how Ii fastened my heatsink down if pickles didn't follow what I had done from my description.
Oh. I see.

gcol said:
I know it's not that hard to take the side off the pc but in my case it means disconnecting numerous cables to bring the case out of the pc desk.
Oh. I see.

gcol said:
How you could think I've hijacked the thread is quite beyond me.
OK.

gcol said:
I find your post juvenille and rude, please try and act like an adult in future. You have added nothing of value to this thread.
Damn. I was going for childish and puerile, so I apologise for being juvenile.

gcol said:
Good day sir.
Oh, I think we both know that your being rather disingenuous there ;)

Running steady at 40 degrees. the arms still in the air and refuses to move so I guess I 'll just have to live with it

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Back