Atkinson Tankmaster Sight Gauge/Tube - is this easy to replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years the sight gauge/tube on my oil tank has become increasingly discoloured (presumably on the inside as I've cleaned the outside) which makes it a bit tricky to see the green bead.

I happen to have a spare sight gauge but I'm wondering if this is easy to replace. Is it just a case of turning off the oil using the wheel, unscrewing the old gauge then putting in the new one or is there more to it than that? For example, do I need to replace the O-rings as well for example, add plumber's PTFE tape to the sight gauge thread, etc?

I've looked online for some instructions but can't find any.

I should note that I have in the past replaced the wheel, washers, filter and bowl as well as the pull to read valve so I'm moderately familiar with the setup, however I found good instructions on how to carry out all of those parts replacements. I've never replaced the sight gauge though.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is as simple as that. In fact you dont need to turn off the oil as long as you don't operate the pull to read knob. If you didn't have a spare unit, you can just remove the pvc tube and fit new quite easily by warming up the end that fits on the nipple.

Thanks. So there are no O-rings to replace, etc?

I'll also be careful not to lose the green bead. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back