Atkinson Tankmaster Valve servicing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our heating oil tank has an Atkinson Tankmaster valve and sight gauge fitted. We noticed a while back that the valve shut-off wheel does not seem to completely switch-off the supply; it just keeps turning, so seems to have come adrift somewhere. We are running down the oil level at the moment as the tank itself need some attention - wrong time of the year I know, but needs must.

Had a look at replacement valves but they are around £50. This seems a very basic valve arrangement and wondered if they can be DIY serviced? Any advice appreciated, before we splash out on a complete new valve!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have an Atkinson Tankmaster series 2 like yours.When mine is screwed fully clockwise it appears to be open (the nut then spins) . When it is screwed fully anticlockwise it appears to be shut .(it does not then spin.) The strange thing is , to stop the oil draining out when cleaning the filter i find it has to be turned clockwise.Does any of this make sense ?

I need to change my filter and have noticed the same thing with the valve shut off wheel.

Can anyone advise the correct way to turn it to shut the oil supply off?

Thanks

Spin the valve wheel till it goes slack/loose. In this position the oil is off.Tighten up but not too much (just get some tension on the valve) to open the valve up and allow oil through again. Try it with the filter off and a container to catch the oil so you can see how much to open the valve.
STIX

Sponsored Links
Bit harsh Mod9, Atkinson weren't suggesting anybody actually buys their products as far as I could see, they were just helpfully directing members to some fitting instructions and technical specs.

Ah, I missed the signature. The post was really quite helpful though.

All that was needed was to remove the signature. It' s a pity to treat firms that try to help this way. But you are a bit slow again Atkinson, the original post was in 2007, so no help at all really.

Yes it is a shame, Your site, i assume is here to help people with problems or for them to ask for advice to professionals on issues they have with equipment or installations. For you to remove posts from manufacturers trying to offer advice and help to people with problems with thier equipment is very harsh. We are a very well established British company (50 yrs) in maufacturing, with a massive database of trade customers who supply our products all across the world. Sometimes they are not always the quickest to help thier own customers with advice on our products. You would have thought you would have been supporting British industry !!. Also our website does not need to benefit from cheap links on a forum such as this, but it does offer direct help to people with problems to our products. Yes we have now removed our signature, but to be stopped or to have helpful advice posts removed is a bit short sighted. Surely all the moderators had to do was ask us to remove our signature or do it themselves. Still i guess you will probably remove this post too !!

All that was needed was to remove the signature. It' s a pity to treat firms that try to help this way. But you are a bit slow again Atkinson, the original post was in 2007, so no help at all really.

The reason we found and commented on a post that was so old is that a link to the post now comes up in Google when you search for our Tankmaster product ! and it reads "Defective Atkinson Oil Tank Valves"
Not good advertising for our product !! Then when looking at the site we also found this post with somebody with a different issue, which we tried to help with !

We do appreciate that the subject is 5 years old but our Tankmaster product has been an industry standard for over 40 years and it has a good name ! so for us to see the above mentioned post title come up on the first page of Google when searching for our product is not acceptable !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back