Atkinson Tankmaster valve/wheel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oil tank has one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atkinson-Tankmaster-Body-Only-TM4790-/251024203729

It's currently on but I can't remember which way to turn the valve to turn it off as it won't turn at all (although it was fine a month ago).

I only noticed this yesterday when checking it due to my boiler having failed (needed to verify that it was on then found that I couldn't turn it and had forgotten which way to turn it off).

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
As with any tap, anticlockwise opens the tap, clockwise closes it. Just to confuse you though, this tap will appear to work opposite, as it is a left hand thread and when closing, the plunger will come out.

Yeah, it was partly that which threw me. Turned out that it had jammed open, but some WD40 freed it up.

Sponsored Links
My Atkinson Tankmaster valve wheel was sized today. I was trying to shut off the oil to do some boiler repairs.

I thought I had unsized the wheel and spent almost an hour spinning it both clockwise and anti clockwise to shut the oil off before realising the wheel had 'broke free' from its centre.

I ended up cutting the wheel off its centre boss and then giving the whole thing a good dowsing with WD40 before attempting to turn the threaded section with some grips.

To my surprise it turned relatively easy and I was able to close off the oil supply, clockwise is the correct way to close off the supply.

I have now given the valve a good spraying with ACF50 and covered with corrosion block grease, so should be good for another 25 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back