Valve between oil tank and Atkinson Tankmaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible for a fault to develop with the Atkinson Tankmaster where the valve between it and the tank is permanently open (even when the plunger is in the closed position)?

If so, how would you check if this has happened (other than consuming oil, pulling the plunger to take a reading and making sure the level fell)?

Sponsored Links
What are you trying to establish? Look for your answer here.
a. The valve can stay open when the hand wheel is in the closed position. It can stick, or can be jammed by debris.
b. The 'pull to read' knob can stick, so when pulled out it is not fully open and the reading is not made.
c. The 'pull to read' knob can stick open so that the level is constantly changing.
d. The hole in the entry to the sight tube can get clogged by debris so that the gauge becomes inoperative.

To check operation, remove the sight tube by unscrewing it, check the hole is clear, operate the 'pull to read' and you should get a spurt of oil. Now close the gauge by the handwheel and repeat the operation if you get no oil, then the shut off is working, if you get oil, the valve is jammed. You can sometimes clea

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I believe the level on the sight gauge is constantly changing. There is no need for me to open the 'pull to read' knob to achieve an accurate reading.

However, the 'pull to read' knob is not stuck. It can freely be opened and closed.

So I guess there is a problem with the internal valve mechanism between the oil tank and the sight gauge?

Is that something you've encountered before? I wonder if it can be fixed or requires a complete replacement of the Atkinson Tankmaster?

Sponsored Links
As c above.
Close handwheel valve, unscrew the pull to read knob and inspect the O rings. Replace if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back