Atmos HE 32 Combi intermittent hot & cold water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
1st poster.
I have a Atmos HE 32 combi and get intermittent hot water on the DHW side. The boiler and system are 10 years old, CH system flushed on installation, and 5 years ago as well as inhibited afterwards. The unit is connected via a Solar HW store and the problem has existed for a about a year now, you only really notice it during the winter months as the solar HW mask's the problem during the fair weather months.

On demand of DHW the boiler will fire up for 30 sec's then return to standby for 30 sec's again an so on and on. Then it can have times when it totally behaves itself (i.e if a heating eng. came out). It is particularly annoying in the shower, however is not limited to this, you get tepid bath's etc. The problem doesn't seem so bad when the CH has been on, but can still occur.

I live in East Anglia so it's a hard water region, also seem to struggle to get heating engineer's out (don't return call's, too busy, not a regular customer, not a landlord or housing assoc. with many properties etc). The closest Atmos engineer is in Norwich which is 20 miles away, however I am too far away for him.
Another suggest I scrap the solar HW and combi then let him sell me a new 'Ideal' boiler - er, no thanks.

The water pressure is 8-9 litres p/m downstairs.

I have read many reports, posts refering to scale and blockages etc. So, I've had it power flushed, one engineer thought it could be water pressure?
It doe's not have an internal diverter valve (so not that), I've re-newed the external blending valves from the solar store to boiler, cleaned the water flow switch, still nothing. The Atmos technical guy is totally baffled, so no help there.

Sponsored Links
Boiler is scaled up. Easy to sort out. Whoever powerflushed it did the wrong side of the boiler (doing two next week as it happens).

The water pressure is 8-9 litres p/m downstairs.

That isnae the pressure ;)

The Atmos technical guy is totally baffled

That is surprising. Tell him to call me.

Depending on how far away you are we might be able to help; but we are busy.

You're lucky - my son's Intergas got down to about 2l/m before he finally let me know!

I hired a Kamco and used some scalebuster to completely cleanse the hex - then fitted the Combimate that should have been there from new.

Jewson's hire out the Kamco - should be one near you?

You're lucky - my son's Intergas got down to about 2l/m before he finally let me know!

That's because the paddle switch works down to 2.5lpm before it doesn't register a demand lol

As said an hours work and it will be good as new!

Sponsored Links
Typical problem with a boiler without a plate; regulating the temperature in the hex and causing scaling in the tubes.

Remind me again why they are better?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back