Attached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does this setup sound ok:

13a fcu from ring into garage, this will feed a two way board with:
6a for lights
16a for one double socket (this the bit im not sure on)

circuit is rcd protected at main fuse box & will be signed off by local authority....

(* although a seperate circuit from main db would be preferable,its not practicable and the socket outlet will only be used for small loads like lawn mower)

Sponsored Links
As you will come off a 13A FCU in your garage for your socket, it can't then go above 13A.
You can also use a 3A FCU to supply your light(s).

yes - but is it ok to use the 16a mcb even though its governed by the fcu?

yes - but is it ok to use the 16a mcb even though its governed by the fcu?

No it is not. Have a read about discrimination. This is very basic theory stuff.

Why is everyone obsessed with installing CUs in the garage?

You only have a 13A supply from the FCU, so there is absoloutly no point wasting money on a CU.

Feed the sockets and a switched FCU in the garage straight from the FCU in the house. Fit a 3A fuse in the SFCU for the light as luminaire suggests

Sponsored Links
discrimination : smaller device should operate before larger ?

the work is already done (not by me) and signed off in brother in laws new garage, and although i picked up on this issue i couldnt give a reasonable explanation.

thnx

in that case is it viable to replace the current fcu off the ring with a blank faceplate and run a spur direct to the two way db in garage?

Could be wrong but a spur should be fused at 13a i think. You would have 22 - 16+6. So you could do it but you'd have to change the MCB's in the garage to 3a and 10a. Which you could do anyway and this would sort the discrimination issue.

If the work is already signed off then what's the problem? It's safe, even if not correct in regard to discrimination.

in that case is it viable to replace the current fcu off the ring with a blank faceplate and run a spur direct to the two way db in garage?

NO! FFS

That would leave a single 2.5mm² cable protected by a 32A OCPD, capable of supplying that current. It would overheat and set on fire. That is why there is an FCU there now.

Are you really sure you are competant to be carrying out electrical installation work?

NO! FFS

Are you really sure you are competant to be carrying out electrical installation work?

1. No im not competant and never said i was
2. im asking because im learning - is that wrong?
3. if you cant just give a civil response then id prefer it if you just dont bother..

thanks skenk - wasnt sure if you could get a 10a mcb
and yeah as its already signed it will be left as is (just when i looked i wasn sure it was right :)

I apologise for being uncivilised.

Next time I will not say anything.

You are now free to burn down yours, or your brother in laws house, with no objections from me what so ever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back