Attaching a bath screen to tile walls, will it hold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have purchased the following bath screen and am about to attach it to the wall but the screws and wall plugs look a little bit puny so was just wondering on your thoughts

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1236893348503&isSearch=true

Basically I will be attaching it to the tiled wall made up as follows:
8mm tiles on top of tanked plasterboard, which itself is attached to a stud wall that has 12.5 chipboard on it. If I drill through the chipboard then it should be going into the vertical wooden joist behind the chipboard.

I am a bit worried as the bath screen only has two hinges that take two screws each. The one I ripped out had a hinge the entire length of the bath screen that was screwed in along the whole length which looked more of a better design for spreading the load.

So my questions are, the wall plugs offered are basic (ie smooth) red ones, and the screws are only 2.5cm long. I have some nice galvanised 4cm ones which should go through to the joist so should I be using these instead and, if so, what sort of wall plug should I be using for the chipboard, tile, plasterboard combo.

I have some nylon ones with barbs, or is there another type?

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back