Some advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to do the walls and floor of my ensuite with 330mm square ceramic tiles. I am in need of some advice.
I want to run the joints on the floor and walls in line, so what size tile spacer should I use ?
Is UniBond Rapid Set Ceramic Floor Tile Adhesive suitable to do both the floor and walls ? the walls are plastered block.
What trowell should I use ?
And lastly ( for now ) what grout will do both floor and walls ?

Sponsored Links
Keeping floor/wall joints in line can give you some nasty slither cuts and is almost impossible unless the room is perfectly true and square (90deg) Why not do the floor diagonally.

3mm will be a minimum gap for the two.

If you are not a quick tiler the rapidset will go off too fast, get a non rapidseting powdered adhesive, the walls will need priming with a suitable primer not PVA.

Thick bed solid bed trowel for the floor and probably an 6 or 8mm notch on the walls if they are all dry areas depending on how smooth the walls are and how textured the back of the tile is.

Something like Mapei ultracolour plus grout will be suitable for wall & floor use.

Jason

I'm with Jason on this one but if you do decide to try and get everything in line you'd better do some very careful marking out to see where things lie. Try and get as full a tile as you can at the corners. Have a look at the sticky for layout tips.
Spacings for that tile are normally 3mm for walls and 5mm for the floors so you take your pick.
I don't generally recommend tiling floors before walls but on this occasion I would. Once you have the floor down, you can work up from the grout lines.
If you're very careful you should be ok, but you only need to be a fraction out and it'll glare at you.
As Jason says, a diamond layout is definitely worth looking at.
Don't forget to post a pic when you've finished. ;)
Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I want to do the walls and floor of my ensuite with 330mm square ceramic tiles. I am in need of some advice.
I want to run the joints on the floor and walls in line, so what size tile spacer should I use ?
Is UniBond Rapid Set Ceramic Floor Tile Adhesive suitable to do both the floor and walls ? the walls are plastered block.
What trowell should I use ?
And lastly ( for now ) what grout will do both floor and walls ?
hello you can use 2mm or biger the biger you go with the peg the easer it will be you may struggle with all your grout lins on each side. the bed thickness will depend on how good your was are, wall & floor grout. wat are you tiling on the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back