Attaching a deck to a semi detached house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone here able to tell me about decking?

Semi detached property, decking is just within the 50%of the garden rule and 30cm height. It is the same size as the footprint of the house.

However, it is has been attached to our semi detached property along the whole of the neighbours part of the back wall.

Metal cups bolted into the brick work to support the frame.

As you can imagine, evey bit of diy, hammering and repairs carries into my home as well now.

When the hot tub was on, the pump caused vibration.

I am sure you can imagine that whenever it is being used I can hear and feel it in my house.

The property is a council owned property.

The tenant has also erected her own fence made from osb her side of our boundary. This also has been drilled and bolted onto the building not onto a free standing fence post.

The hot tub has been sold now, but obviously a deck that size is in constant use, especially when diy is taking place and the power tools are set up on it.

Sponsored Links
If its a council owned property your neighbour is a tenant and requires permission from the landlord quite separately from planning permission (or exercise of pd rights).

Thank you.

It's been up for 10 years. An on going nightmare.

It has become a bigger issue again as her bf is now repairing it and replacing all the boards that rotted.

Council here are useless. She has already been allowed to erect a fence made from osb that it is over 2 meters in height.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240211_081435_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240211_081435_OneDrive.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 55
What is your actual complaint?

Bear in mind that you need to direct your complaint to the correct team at the council.

Housing/tenancy complaints including ASB to the Housing Dept

Planning complaints to the Planning Dept.

Environmental complaints (noise) to the Environmental Health Dept

BTW ....

50%of the garden rule
No such rule under planning. Its 50% of all the land, and it does not apply to decking anyway.

Sponsored Links
It does not seem fair that structural changes can be made that affect my property. The noise from the hot tub, crashing about on the decking, diy on the decking reverberates into my home day and night.

Causes bottles to rattle and a windows to shake.

Hot tubs are a frequent (and valid) cause for noise complaints, typically due to the vibrations. Common resolutions are to site then further up the garden and on concrete bases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back