Attaching a wooden mantlepiece to the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this old wooden mantlepiece from a scrap yard and have been stripping and refurbishing it. It's now looking really nice (will post a pic when I get home).

mantlepiece.jpg

How can I attach this to a newly plastered wall? Can I just glue it? I don't want to have any brackets on display, but the plaster is already on the wall.

This is the wall I'll be attaching it to.

20151214_200526.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could 'no more nails' it to the wall, or you could affix it using screws; I generally favour the latter, where possible.

You could 'no more nails' it to the wall, or you could affix it using screws; I generally favour the latter, where possible.

I'd rather use screws too. To do that would I have to drill through the wood and then user filler on the sunken holes - or is there another way that I'm not thinking of?

You could either make a plug to fill the hole. If you'll be painting the wood, I'd just fill and sand it level!

Sponsored Links
^^^^^ that looks very simple and cheap to install, the only problem I see is that the mantlepiece could move sideways and not look centralised.

I would fit Picture Plate Hangers ( they come in different sizes) screw to back of Mantlepiece then rawlplug fitting, screw to wall, chip out a bit of plaster to take the wall fitting and make good with filler.

nickel-plated-picture-plate-hanger-38mm-wide-966-p%5Bekm%5D120x110%5Bekm%5D.jpg

http://www.ukpictureframingsupplies.co.uk/picture-frame-plates-and-mirror-plates-33-c.asp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back