Window boards - flush with wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have wooden window boards, with additional bullnosed wooden strips attached to the front and overhanging. I presume that was cheaper than an all-in-one board. They look messy - the join always shows after a while.

I've removed one - and am thinking of not bothering with the overhang at all, simply having the window board flush with the wall. Any problem with that?

And if I go down that route, how should i prepare the edge for painting the same as the wall? Pic attached, the board is ply. Should i simply use some sort of filler to smooth it all out?

Any advice much appreciated

Before:
20190728_180946.jpg

After removing the strip:

20190728_175612.jpg

Sponsored Links
Mine are a similar shape, but the wood is all in one piece, no join. Yours would just look wrong, with nothing there. You could maybe make the joint more obvious, more of a feature by using a piece of dado rail fixed to it, instead of what you have removed - If you finish the ends of the dado neatly, shaped with a fret saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back