Attaching fencing to a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all and here goes my first post;

We have a 4 feet high double layer boundary wall running round our back garden and I wish to add 2 feet high fencing onto the top of this in order to make the garden more private. What is the best way to do this?

I note one side of the garden is a little exposed to the elements and thus decent fixings would be required for peace of mind.

Any advice as to the size of the posts to attach to the wall, number of posts etc greatfully received. The panels unadjusted are 1.83m wide.

I also note there is added difficulty in that the wall has a generous arch in it at one point which I will attain dimensions for during daylight hours.

Thank you In anticipation.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Go for a 3x3 inch posts (75mm) this would be more than adequate for the height of the fence use one each side of the fence panel. Make sure you own the wall before starting.

Be very careful attaching fencing to the top of a wall in anything other than good condition. If its 9 inch and your only going up 2 feet it will be ok but it would be better to make the fencing hit and miss rather than a solid slab for the wind to catch.

Sponsored Links
The further between the very bottom fixing and the very top fixing the better.

So use the 6 foot one and take the post right down to the ground and fix it close to the base of the wall and then another fixing in the middle and another about 8 inches from the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back