Attaching gate post to concrete fence post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

One of our gate posts has failed. I think the best fix would be to attach a new gate post to the concrete fence post adjacent to it. Are these posts easy to drill into. I don’t have any fancy kit, just a hammer drill. Also I’ll probably be drilling into the rebate of the H. Is that likely to creat an issue?

l’m reticent to do it, as I don’t want to damage the post and creat more problems and cost. Is there any other way to do it?

this is also at a junction in the fence so the run at an angle, just to make things a little more complex.

David.

Sponsored Links
"Don't drill it".
But what to do instead? An angled profile chemically fixed to the concrete post and then glue your gate post to that? Could work.

Hello,

One of our gate posts has failed. I think the best fix would be to attach a new gate post to the concrete fence post adjacent to it. Are these posts easy to drill into. I don’t have any fancy kit, just a hammer drill. Also I’ll probably be drilling into the rebate of the H. Is that likely to creat an issue?

l’m reticent to do it, as I don’t want to damage the post and creat more problems and cost. Is there any other way to do it?

this is also at a junction in the fence so the run at an angle, just to make things a little more complex.

David.
Some posts have three holes , top middle , bottom already ?
You can drill safely, the rebar is off centre, 6mm holes should be ok to get your screws thru.

Thanks for the help with this. There are 2 holes in the rebate which I could use! How had I not seen them before? Do all such fence posts have these holes in them?

I‘m still not sure about the best thing to do though as due to the angle the gates on, if I fixed the gate post to the fence post then when the gate was closed the hinges would still be at an angle. I’m not sure how that would look or function or how / if it could be resolved. Maybe it wouldn’t be a problem at all. i also think the gate ”hole” would be a little larger so I’d have to try somehow to extend the gate, or the other gate post too.

Attachments

• 56FD7AA5-457C-4213-A5DC-274413D08288.jpeg
    56FD7AA5-457C-4213-A5DC-274413D08288.jpeg
    664.9 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
The holes are sometimes used to install chain link fencing . I used to secure a timber post , nice big wood screw with large washers.You could fix arris rail to post to get a better angle for gate .

That’s a really good shout. Thanks. I wonder if I hang the gate from the other post then maybe I could construct a jamb Using arris rails or similar. . Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

There are metal brackets that clamp to concrete posts.
I don’t know how strong they are if hanging a gate post?
But worth a bit of research.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back