Concrete fence posts repair or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Most of our fence facing the back street consists of concrete posts and gravel boards - 6ft with a trellis topper. Particularly the posts and some gravel boards have signs of past repair.

Looking on Google StreetView the repairs date back at least 10 years+.

The far end is the worst with posts leaning towards the back street - but seemingly sturdy? Two large trees were removed 10 years ago as the previous owners were told they were pushing the fence over. The stumps are still there and get fairly strong regrowth sprouting each year. The posts had some slight lean 15 years ago.

What concerns me is most is the builder's band that looks like it's holding the concrete gravel boards in place - and other areas where the edges of the posts are crumbling or the rebar is exposed.

Just after some suggestions on what should be done - if the smaller areas of damage could be repaired? which I could DIY?

Or should some of the posts really be replaced? If so, what would you expect to pay, as I've no chance of doing that myself!

Thanks in advance!
chaoticj

Attachments

• Back-Fence-1-Near-Garage.jpg
    Back-Fence-1-Near-Garage.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Back-Fence-2-Near-Garage.jpg
    Back-Fence-2-Near-Garage.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Back-Fence-3-Near-Garage.jpg
    Back-Fence-3-Near-Garage.jpg
    916.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Back-Fence-4-Post-Bottom.jpg
    Back-Fence-4-Post-Bottom.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Back-Fence-5-Post-Top.jpg
    Back-Fence-5-Post-Top.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Back-Fence-6-Near-Gate.jpg
    Back-Fence-6-Near-Gate.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Back-Fence-7-Near-Gate-2.jpg
    Back-Fence-7-Near-Gate-2.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Once reinforced concrete is cracked or chipped, water can get at the steel, rusting it which causes it to expand and spall off more concrete. Once there is a crack the structural integrity is lost.

I am very much opposed to drilling into concrete fenceposts as this is likely to start a crack and they have little excess material.

Could collapse suddenly and at that height cause serious injury .
Below is a neighbours wall, this is an old photo it recently all collapsed onto the road it boarders .

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpeg
    IMG_1135.jpeg
    917.5 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
It's at the end of it's life and needs replacing. Replacement can be concrete posts and timber infill panels or just timber or whatever, budget say £1-2K. But we don't know how much there is, area of the country, access etc.

Hi,

Thanks guys, so you would suggest replacing in it's entirety?

Looking at about 12 posts and 10 panels, North West England, back street is 2 cars wide but in the garden it's overgrown behind the fence and probably a build up of soil.

Not too bothered about the panels looking pretty, low maintenance would be best, needs to be secure.

Would 2/3ft of concrete gravel board and featheredge panel up to 6ft with additional 1ft trellis work?

I suppose it probably hasn't helped that whoever added the trellis drilled uprights into the concrete posts to fix them to..

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back