Attaching plasterboard to steel post

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to clad a steel post (100mm x 100mm square post 8mm gauge) in plasterboard. What's the best way to attach the plasterboard?

The blacksmith recommended drilling pilot holes and then using self tapping screws but it's fairly hefty steel to have to drill so many holes in.

Is there any adhesive that will satisfactorily attach plasterboard to steel?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
Board adhesive will grab enough until the gear has gone off but i'm not sure whether this would satisfy fire reg's due to the lack of mechanical fix.

What are you cladding with, i.e. fireboard? One layer or two?

If you were to clad it in timber or ply first you could cut the ply/timber so that it can be fixed together in the corners without having to fix to the steel.

You could then pop the odd fixing into the steel post without having to go mental with screws.

Cladding with single layer of fireboard. I was thinking of using the approach that you suggest (clad with ply and then attach plasterboard to that) but I'm hoping to keep the post (basically a pillar in the room) as low profile as possible so packing out with additional layers of board will make it larger.

I guess I could use a couple of screws for a basic mechanical fix and then adhesive to keep it neatly attached. Bit of wire wrap for good measure and then skim over?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
I think a steel post in a house fire will still be there when most other things are ashes.

I think a steel post in a house fire will still be there when most other things are ashes.

Yes it will still be there as a twisted, buckled under load piece of steel. Steel tends to fall before timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back