Drywalling after adding steel beams and posts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am doing a loft conversion and the structural engineer has specified steel beams running just below my existing ceiling. I plan on covering these beams with plasterboard and skimming. Can anyone tell me the correct way to attach the plasterboard to the the steel beams as I'm worried about the steel expanding and cracking at joints etc. Can I glue the plasterboard directly to the beams or will I need to glue on wooden battens first and screw plasterboard to battens? If battens are required what is the min thickness as I do not want to lose too much headroom. Can anyone recommend a good adhesive? All advice and pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
wedge pieces of timber inside the steel (wooden soldiers) say the beam is ten inches deep, screw plasterboard strips to both sides of the beam (cheeks), but cut them twelve inches wide so you have two inch over hang and then screw two by two to the overhang screwing through the sides. This will give you something to screw to when you fix the board to the bottom of the beam (soffet). Because its a steel beam BC will probably want two layers of board usually firelined board with both layers staggered so all the joints overlap, they may even want you to tape and fill the joints on the first skin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back