Plasterboard glued to flat face of steel columns and beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to "box in" steel columns and beams, and make the coverings as small as possible.

I insert noggins into the steel beams and then directly fix plasterboard strips onto these noggins.

But when I need to cover the flanges of those columns and beams, I was thinking of glueing a plasterboard strip directly onto the steel using "sticks like sh*t" which I have found it to be very strong and less flexible than CT1.

Alternatively I have been fixing 18mm ply over the flange with steel screws, and then I fix the plasterboard onto the ply on either side of the flange where I can put screws in without hitting the steel. But this results in a bigger and bulkier overall result especially on the sides of the beam.

So, can I simply glue (sticks like sh*t) strips of plasterboard onto the steel beams/columns and expect it to last?

Sponsored Links
Thank you, but unfortunately I cannot use that. My house is littered with steel beams and columns, inside the blockwork, inside the floor, above, below, everywhere, and there are hundreds of timbers, joists and plywood floors and timber partition walls notched/attached to the steels. My neighbour is building an ICF house and his also is full of beams and columns all exposed, and full of timber noggins and timber coverings. The builder said he will install pink board over them but most of the steels have noggins timbers all over them anyway it looks more like paying lip service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back