Insulating a gable end steel frame.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just getting things ready for the plasterers to come in and plaster the room around the steel A frame forming the gable end. The drawings state a double layer of plasterboard but is that enough to prevent cold faces all around the gable end window?

I've already glued in wood noggins in the steel webs to take the plasterboard screws, but should I insulate in the web and is this worthwhile as the steel forms the reveals both sides and over the top and can only take two layers of plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
The drawings state a double layer of plasterboard but is that enough to prevent cold faces all around the gable end window?
No; plasterboard alone is not innately an insulating material
but should I insulate in the web and is this worthwhile
Unlikely that adding insulation to the web will cure the cold bridge but it may help reduce the cold surface area presented to the room

as the steel forms the reveals both sides and over the top and can only take two layers of plasterboard.
This cold bridge should have been better designed out at the start. I'd be looking to put the steel entirely in the cold side and insulate the room from it completely

Upload pictures of what you have now and of any drawings, so we can better advise

Sponsored Links
This is what the gable end of the steel frame looks like.

I've now padded out all of the steel webs with rockwool and the drawings states two layers of plasterboard over any exposed steel. The underside of the cross beam between the top and bottom gable window will have 50mm insulated plasterboard. The cavity side of the steels have cavity batts behind the brickwork and more rockwool in the web of the crossbeam and the outer window facia. Any small gaps will be foamed.

I think that is as much as can be done.

Attachments

• IMG_1319.jpeg
    IMG_1319.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 35
Can you not use celotex in the webs? Like you've done on the bottom left of the picture?

I think not a lot more can be achieved here, sometimes BC need to accept and be pragmatic around the solution presented.

sometimes BC need to accept and be pragmatic
Why? If something's been designed wrong from the start, why should BC accept it just because noone called out that it was silly at any point between then and now? That's like pouring foundations for a 3 storey house out of 150mm C10, building the first storey and then saying "well, BC just have to accept that it is how it is and be pragmatic, cos there's a wall built on it now"

I think that is as much as can be done.
I'd ditch all the timber down the sides and replace it with insulation, keeping just a few small bits for where your window strappings fix through, and wrap that entire set of steelwork in 50mm+ of PIR, get it out to the cold side

Are you adhering insulated PB to the block walls?

Last edited:
Why? If something's been designed wrong from the start, why should BC accept it just because noone called out that it was silly at any point between then and now? That's like pouring foundations for a 3 storey house out of 150mm C10, building the first storey and then saying "well, BC just have to accept that it is how it is and be pragmatic, cos there's a wall built on it now"

I'd ditch all the timber down the sides and replace it with insulation, keeping just a few small bits for where your window strappings fix through, and wrap that entire set of steelwork in 50mm

Are you adhering insulated PB to the block walls?

You're talking about extreme cases, I am discussing the one at hand. Insulate with celotex.

You are, but youre talking about putting it in the webs, which is only half the story, really. There is enough space here to get some PIR in where just plasterboard is being proposed, and I think that opportunity should be leveraged; it seems mostly possible to clad the entire room-side presentation of this steel in insulation

RichD1 have you got the enginner's drawings available?

Also, how come the ceilig is skimmed when the walls aren't even plasterboarded? Such an odd detail

No engineering drawings for this detail. Just very loose statements of two layers of plasterboard around exposed steel for fire purposes.

I started with PIR padding but it provided difficult. The steels had lots of tek bolts in the webs to secure wall ties in the side and back faces and holding the timber linings which prevented the PIR being fitted easily. So I've padded with Rockwool. I also had the Plasterers on my back waiting to board.

I've now got 50mm PIR insulated plasterboard around all the steel faces.

The ceiling was skimmed first because we had an internal scaffold frame the length of the room to reach the vaulted ceiling and the veluxs. This was removed and then walls lined and skimmed. No problem as the finish and join is superb.

Ref the difficulty in PIR'ing a load of screws etc I've always wanted to give this a go:

It looks like typical expanding foam but it's actually more like like the foam that gets bad rep for being sprayed on the underside of tile/slate roofs

I've used its bigger brother, the two part canisters:

And also the two part liquid you mix yourself and wait for it to go wild and turn into kingspan..

..both awesome products that create beautifully structured closed cell insulated layers on whatever you coat them with.. streets ahead of typical expanding foam.

But they're expensive and not really something you stop and start with; you just get a long list of everything that needs spraying and gun the lot or you struggle to use the liquid two part because of gravity

The smaller cans seem to have similar constraints as expanding foam, can't lay it on too thick, but a lot more controllable and easy stopnstart due to portion size ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back