Wire Binding to Encase Steel Beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to encase a steel beam in my loft. The plans state that it must be:

"Encased with 2 layers of 9.5mm plasterboard fixed with 1.6mm wire binding at 100mm pitch and set with 7mm plaster beams to rest on concreted padstone at each end."

The beam was professionally installed but I'm doing the plasterboard myself before getting it skimmed.

Can someone tell me what the 1.6mm wire binding is?

Sponsored Links
the wire binding is what we used to do when we were bonding out any borded sections, the bonding adherers to the wire which is mechanically fixed to the beam noggins in case off fire and does not fall off onto unsuspecting members of the public, but that spec is a bit old hat , just use 12.5mm fireline board that will give you the same protection as two layers of 9.5mm, then just skim it

So putting wooden noggings into the I beam, then screwing a single layer of 12.5mm fireline board and skimming on top will be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
yep, one layer of fireline is equiv to two x 9.5mm board, but always double cheque with bc to confirm that they are satisfied,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back