Attaching ply wood to the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok...Here we go!

I have a very small room (2.4m x 3.9m). I have removed the old cheap laminate and underneath it is half concrete and half old parkay! Where the parkay meats the concrete some of the parkay has gone rotten/damp so I've lifted the rotten bits and thrown it away. I think I've found the cause of the damp and have stopped that.

I've now filled the gaps that the rotten parkay has left with some timber but there is a slight (a few mm) difference in hight between this new wood and the old concrete and parkay. I plan to lay 6mm ply down over the whole room to level it out and then get a carpet fitter in to lay carpet on top.

My question is....

Is this acceptable? and

Is it OK to screw the ply down into the concrete using plugs or will the concrete be too thin?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
I would either sand the timber down to reduce the height and/or blend it in, or pour some self leveller on the concrete to raise the height and blend it in

For your original scheme, the concrete is likely to be thick enough for plugs, but I would be a bit dubious with 6mm ply and countersunk screws, and the ply will flex a little between fixings (unless you fit absolutely loads of them) and may bounce a little

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back