Attaching Shower Doors through tile into plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a shower door, which needs three screws to go through tiles into plasterboard. What sort of wall fixing would you recommend? I have looked at some special plasterboard fittings but they do not look like they would work very well with tile, or would require very large holes to be drilled.

thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Mark
I had a similar problem with a plasterboard wall, you might find just by drilling into the tile and into the plasterboard you can get a good enough fixing using a rawlplug, this would depend on the tile thickness though. The vertical rails on shower door (again depending on the design) normally only need to support theiur own weight in which case I think my suggestion would be ok. Hope that is helpful

Is it a new wall or existing wall?
What's the wall constructed of behind the tiles/plasterboard, is it a block work wall or a timber stud wall?

Is it a new wall or existing wall?
What's the wall constructed of behind the tiles/plasterboard, is it a block work wall or a timber stud wall?

It's a new loft conversion we've had finished recently. They put up a timber frame and then attached plasterboard. I doubt we'll be lucky enough for either door to line up with a wooden beam.

The design of the shower door is that it rests its weight on the shower tray and the 3 screws just hold it in the upright position.

Mark

Sponsored Links
sliding - the shower is installed in a corner, and there are two doors, each sliding half the width of the shower tray, meaning you enter and exit the shower in the corner.

i just use red plugs and screws into the tiles.once its all siliconed in place,not the bottom internal junction.it wont go anywhere.

You should be OK with ordinary wall plugs into the tile & some Silicone as Woody007 & Chukka63 suggest as long as you dontl seriously abuse it; if it were hinged, would be a different story. If only 3 or 4 fixing holes are provided, I would drill a few extras each side just to spread the load a bit more.

you could add some "no nails" or similar and glue it to the wall if you wanted the belt and braces finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back