Attaching studwork to liquid DPM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all - first post!

I am in the process of converting my garage to living space. Building control have said that we can lay several coats of liquid Dpm as the floor is the same level as the rest of the house.

I want to fit a small shower room in there so I need to put up some studwork. How do I attach the base plate to the floor without penetrating the Dpm? Or is that okay? Or do I lay the base plate first and liquid Dpm around it?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Ravenhead, Hi [and can I say welcome to the site - loads of good info in here, especially in the historic stuff - see some of the historic posts below??]

I digress, I would ask you to consider that you apply the liquid DPM [there is a pinned post in one of the sections giving information on how to apply liquid DPM] to the floor, and if there is a DPC in the walls, take the liquid DPM up the wall to the DPC. this will give some protection to ground water percolating up the wall and By-Passing the floor liquid DPM.

As for an answer of your posted question? suggest you apply the number of layers of DPM you consider required,[apply in different directions on every coat- if possible??]

I would consider using a treated timber sole plate for your shower area, now I would apply more liquid DPM to the area of floor where the sole plate is to be positioned, then apply the Liquid DPM to the underside of the Sole Plate, this will ensure that any rising ground water cannot and will not get at the timber, so it cannot be attacked if the timber is simply fixed to the untreated concrete the timber Sole plate will be at risk and WILL rot over time, also there is a decided "Weak Area" at the interface of the timber and the floor all the way around the length of the timber

As for fixing the Sole Plate timber? ? ? - it is possible??? that the liquid DPM may act as an adhesive?? but I would not trust that idea, I would let the liquid DPM set, then drill through the Sole plate, then shove in a rawlplug [other fixings are available] then run in to the drilled hole some liquid DPM, and fix the screws. Do not drip in the DPC and leave the fixing of the screw until later, it should be a one / two operation.

Why run in the Liquid DPM into the drilled hole with plug? the DPM should fill any voids and stop ground water from getting at the Sole plate.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back