Attaching the birdsmouth to the wallplate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am constructing a small "lean-to", and I will be usine 10mm expanding rawbolts to attach the top wallplate to the wall. I will then cut the birdsmouth in the roof timbers to rest on this wallplate (the highest point of the lean-to. My question though, is do I use joist hangers to attach the bottom half of the roofing joist to the wallplate, and just leave the top bit of the birdsmouth to rest on the top of the wallplate and but up against the wall, or should this also be attahced to the wallplate with a screw?

Sponsored Links
Do not use expanding bolts to fix the wall plate down, you will split the masonry. Rather, lay it on a bed of mortar, tap it level then use bent holding-down straps.

We fit the straps after the roof timbers are fixed so as to avoid interference from rafter/joist seat. To stop the wall plates pushing out whilst constructing the roof we temporarily brace the plates with timbers spanning the plates until the floor joists are fixed.

Timbers are spiked to the plates with nails or screws. The rafter and joist ends are spiked together also.

Thanks noseall, i really meant the "top" wall plate that's attached to the "side" of the "vertical" wall - I may have called it the wrong thing (it's similar to ridge board if it were a house (but it's a lean-to), so i called it a wallplate (?). As I'm going into the "side" of the brick here, can i use expanding bolts for that? Also would I screw the joist to "this" wallplate once I've done the cuttingof the joist and it's in place?

Ahh geddit now. ;)

Yes, we use sleeve anchors for fitting the pitching plate or pole plate. You can then screw or nail the rafter onto the pitching plate.

Sponsored Links
I'd just notch out enough on the roof blades to ensure they sit fully on the plate and then use light-weight angle brackets, on both sides to tie the blades to the plate. These brackets can be bought ready made from building suppliers or simply made by cutting suitable lengths of predrilled strapping and bending at right angles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back