Attaching tongue and groove

N

Nim

Hi
We're wanting to put tongue and groove panelling round our bathroom. Husband thinks he has to attach horizontal batons, then nail the t&g to them, I think the t&g should be fitted direct to the wall (to stop it sticking out and looking stupid). Who is right and what's the best way to attach tongue and groove to bare plaster walls?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hubby, men are always right (so we think) :LOL:
You could fix direct to the wall but would take long time, you do not need a thick batten.

Drat.

Thanks, I'll get him to source the thinnest batten we can get away with!

do it the easy neatest way

get your battons the same thickness as the skirting and use the skirting as the bottom batton then fit new skirting to finnish ;)

Sponsored Links
What about hacking away plaster and embedding the cladding (same thickness as plaster) into the wall? Do people do this? I'm not sure.

By the way, please tell me where you are buying cladding. And don't say B&Q please :D.

Tozzy said:
What about hacking away plaster and embedding the cladding (same thickness as plaster) into the wall? Do people do this? I'm not sure.

By the way, please tell me where you are buying cladding. And don't say B&Q please :D.

Only people,that get in tradespeople in to put their work right :LOL:

splinter said:
Tozzy said:

Only people,that get in tradespeople in to put their work right :LOL:

hehe :). Well at least it's a possible idea then :). Anyway, I think I might do that myself next time I do some cladding.

Are you planning on panelling floor to ceiling? or are you stopping halfway up the wall with some form of dado finish? If it's the latter, the size of the piece used to cap the panelling should determine the thickness of the battens. Walls with doors/windows in will require attention to detail to get a good finish and in tight bathrooms, be mindful not to obstruct removal of bath/access panels.

Hi again.

Thanks for the advice. We had a chat with a guy in B&Q who said to use fairly thin battens, and to use panel clips (metal clips that clip over the newly fixed panel that you then screw into the batten before attaching the next panel) so you don't have hundreds of nail holes to fill.

I'm not sure where to get the T&G from - I was going to go to B&Q - is that wrong? Is there somewhere better? Suggestions welcome.

It's only going to dado height so we have to find something to top it with. I guess we'll have to go and play with architrave etc and if we can find anything suitable, resort to the "thin-shelf" idea I was toying with. Unless someone has a better idea.......

ETA - we can't use the skirting as the base batten as some is missing, some is loose and the rest is just grot. Much easier to start from scratch.

I suspect OH will go to Greshams or Lavers for the T&G (thinking about it). He normally goes there for woody things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back