Attempt Dishwasher Install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into my first house! We are desperate for a dishwasher. I've found 47cm of space next to my washing machine for a slimline dishwasher.

Having never attempted any plumbing before would anyone recommend I have a go at:

Adding dishwasher cold water supply to under sink washing machine supply?
Adding the dishwasher waste hose to the under sink trap?

I have attached pictures. I will also need to move the electric socket (used by the washing machine) in the kitchen unit where the dishwasher will be installed. And add to that socket to power the dishwasher. I will post in the electric thread for advice.

Any advice really appreciated

Adam

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 308
  • FullSizeRender_4.jpg
    FullSizeRender_4.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 302
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 289
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 289
Sponsored Links
get a long inlet hose and use this:
ae235

and change your trap to this:
m6DTS3XxLS50kpOjOjX104Q.jpg

you might need a longer waste hose.

if you're not confident on moving the socket, you should really get a pro in

Fairly straightforward from a plumbing point of view:

a. You'll need to add an extra cold water outlet. Turn off water. Remove washing machine hose. Remove isolation valve (in picture). Fit 15mm compression "Tee" piece. Fit small length of copper pipe to each branch, and fit isolation valve to each small copper pipe. Refit washing machine hose. Fit dishwasher inlet hose to other. Turn both isolation taps off. Turn water on. Check for leaks. Turn washing machine valve on. Turn dishwasher valve on.

b. Look up "McAlpine" waste fittings. Replace under-sink waste with appropriate McAlpine (SSK1 ?) fitting with two waste spigots. Connect washing machine waste to one, dishwasher waste to the other. Try and avoid letting dishwasher and washing machine empty at the same time. You may need an extension flexible waste hose for the dishwasher. The flexible waste must rise to just under the level of the worktop before going into the waste fitting.

c. Electrics. See electricals forum but I'd be tempted to change the existing single for a double, and have it fitted sunk into the wall behind the open cupboard door in the picture. You'd probably have to have the washing machine lead extended, which might invalidate its warranty. Or you could have two fused cable connectors fitted above the work top to the right of the sink, behind the bottles.

You've got 470mm at the top, but there's skirting board at the bottom that'll need removing - push dishwasher in then the washing machine. When you take out the small cupboard, you'll then need a metal angle bracket to support the worktop. As the socket in the small cupboard is surface mounted, I suspect that there's just a cable coming in from the side. You can get longer washing machine outlet hoses from screwfix, or connecting kits, but they shouldn't invalidate the warranty as it's an external fitting. Either of the previous post have good suggestions, so it's just a case of how competent you feel cutting copper pipe.

Sponsored Links
Nice collection of wine.

The worktop will need supporting on the wall once the cupboard is removed.

Plumbing as above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back