Attempting My first plastering * Need all the advise & H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day,

My name is Thomson, I stay in Singapore and I am going to attempt to plaster my own room.

I manage to visit the local hardware shop and found out they have fine plaster powder, trowels, spray can and sand paper.

I have a few questions.

1) What is the proportion of the plaster powder and water mix?

2) Is there anything else I need?

3) Can someone give me a link beside videos on how to actually do the plastering(I have seen many video but few write outs)

best if there is step by step like how long I should wait and etc.

4) Do I need to remove the old coats of paint, first before plastering? (I have 8 coats of paint on the wall)

5) how to plaster corners and ceilings?

7) After plastering do I need to apply any thing on the wall before painting?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
scroll down to the bottom of the page and read through the archive posts....then ask your questions. :D

I think you ought to send the money or tickets over to anyone of us lads on here and put us up for a few weeks and we will teach you to plaster for Nothin' :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi rc will give you a shout when the tickets arrive... :LOL: :LOL: ;)

I have read most of the topic posted below but they just gives bits and pieces of information. What I really need is solid step by step details.

Thanks in advance.

this is breif, really breid

1 - prep walls, sort out problems and PVA (end of day 1)

2 - get 2 buckets, one with half water, the other with as much water as you need to make the mix amount you need

3 - PVA the wall you want to plaster (or ceiling)

4 - add the plaster to the water whilst whisking untill you get a nice creamy mix

5 - using a bucket trowel, add a couple of scoops to your hawk and then trowel onto the wall, there are prob proper methods but i like to start in a corner and hit as many edges as i can reach, then infill the rest of the wall.

6 - once the wall is covered you need to go over it and flatten it us as best you can - clean your tools in the bucket with the clean water in.

7 - RUN RUN RUN (dont fall) - clean out your bucket and fill with required amount of water again and whisk up another mix, a bit wetter this time

8 - apply this mix on top of the other in the same fashion

9 - flatten over once laid

10 - when it's firm enough you can really press it in and flatten it

11 - splash on a little water and trowel up the wall, this will fill any small inperfections

12 - carry on with opposite wall

I have read most of the topic posted below but they just gives bits and pieces of information. What I really need is solid step by step details.

It is impossible on here, to give you solid step by step details on how to plaster Thompson. You need to actually see it done in real time. There must be cd's/ video's out where you are, that shows you "how to", or a college teaching how to plaster. It's a trade that is so hard to put into words,,,, yet so simple to do once you know how,,,, with lots of practice after that. ;)

this is breif, really breid

1 - prep walls, sort out problems and PVA (end of day 1)

2 - get 2 buckets, one with half water, the other with as much water as you need to make the mix amount you need

3 - PVA the wall you want to plaster (or ceiling)

4 - add the plaster to the water whilst whisking untill you get a nice creamy mix

5 - using a bucket trowel, add a couple of scoops to your hawk and then trowel onto the wall, there are prob proper methods but i like to start in a corner and hit as many edges as i can reach, then infill the rest of the wall.

6 - once the wall is covered you need to go over it and flatten it us as best you can - clean your tools in the bucket with the clean water in.

7 - RUN RUN RUN (dont fall) - clean out your bucket and fill with required amount of water again and whisk up another mix, a bit wetter this time

8 - apply this mix on top of the other in the same fashion

9 - flatten over once laid

10 - when it's firm enough you can really press it in and flatten it

11 - splash on a little water and trowel up the wall, this will fill any small inperfections

12 - carry on with opposite wall
How difficult can that be :LOL: ; don't know what all the fuss is about, surely anyone can do it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back