attic conversion question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be doing my own attic conversion,
and will be looking at getting a SE involved and a builder to do the major structual work.

however I had a quick chat to wakefield council and they told me I must inform them and put in an application to buildings control at a nice sum of 450£(+vat).

do I really need to tell them?

About 12 years ago my mum and dad did an attic conversion in the old house and they did not tell them.

I spoke to afew guys and they didnt even know what buildings control was

input needed, I am proper confused

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
and will be looking at getting a SE involved and a builder to do the major structual work.

however I had a quick chat to wakefield council and they told me I must inform them and put in an application to buildings control at a nice sum of 450£(+vat).

About 12 years ago my mum and dad did an attic conversion in the old house and they did not tell them.

Yes, you do need to submit an application to the building regulation department. You can either submit a building notice or full plans application. For a loft conversion, it would be best to submit full plans applications, so building regulation department can approve everything you plan on doing. They will also conduct site inspections at different stages of the conversion.

A conversion without building regs will de-value your house.

Yes, you do need to submit an application to the building regulation department. You can either submit a building notice or full plans application. For a loft conversion, it would be best to submit full plans applications, so building regulation department can approve everything you plan on doing. They will also conduct site inspections at different stages of the conversion.

The issue is I dont know how much room I will have upstairs.

I am hoping for 2 bedrooms and some storage, but havent made any plans yet, and its difficult to mesure up since the new supports are headheight and I cant see the joists due to the additional insulation.

The issue is I dont know how much room I will have upstairs.

I am hoping for 2 bedrooms and some storage, but havent made any plans yet, and its difficult to mesure up since the new supports are headheight and I cant see the joists due to the additional insulation.

Well your architect should asses if the loft is suitable for a conversion.

Sponsored Links
ive not got an architect :LOL: .

I could do my own plans.

ive not got an architect :LOL: .

I could do my own plans.

Not if you can't measure it up and figure out how much space is up there, you can't!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Waiting on joiners who are coming tommrow, to mesaure up and tell me if a staircase would actually fit and with enough headroom.

This is all a learning curve for me
:mrgreen:

why would you want to go to all the time and trouble to make an area that can only ever be called a storage area and when you go to sell will put off any body that wants a loft conversion as they would have to rip it out and start again

and if building control get a wiff off what your doing they can make you remove the stars and anything else that help you use it above storage level :cry: :cry:

why would you want to go to all the time and trouble to make an area that can only ever be called a storage area and when you go to sell will put off any body that wants a loft conversion as they would have to rip it out and start again

and if building control get a wiff off what your doing they can make you remove the stars and anything else that help you use it above storage level :cry: :cry:

I actually only phoned them because of some of the information I read on this website.

I though informing BC was like a extra :LOL: .

But since reading further I will go down the proper route,

1 - Get a joiner to quote me for the stairs. and give me a location where they would be best suited.
2 - Put a application form in at BC, wait and let them come on site to sit and discuss.
3 - Get an SE onsite and show him the problems, with the new installed timbers and find some soulution.
4 - show BC the drawings of the new supports. Employ a builder to remove timbers and stuff and install new supports.
5- insulate, make stud walls, electrician to do first fix.

and the rest

Sounds a big job and not as straightforward as you originally thought. HOpe it all goes well for you. Extra space in your home is always a bonus.

Sponsored Links
Back