Attic Conversion. Removal of restraint straps.

LBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting my own attic.
Have had a structural engineer do some calcs and drawings.
I've fitted the Girders. Fitted new Rafters along side the existing. Fitted collars and fitted new Joists along side the existing. I built a stud wall apon the Steels to support the rafters and have gutted the old trusses out.
When cutting all the old timbers out I also had to remove the restraint straps to the gable ends for all my new rafters and joists to be fitted.
My question is do I need to fit new restraint straps to the gabble end?

Sponsored Links
as a rule, gables most always should be tied-in but with no pics i cant see what the position is in your loft.
SE or not, i hope BCO is involved because there cant be any slip ups where steels are used.
there's quite a bit of "gutting and cutting" so why not post pics of what you've done?

I'm not sure how many photos can be uploaded in on go.
I'll upload photos in the orderorder work has been carried out.
The first 2 photos are the end gable wall of a semi detached house, followed by the other end. and then what the joins look like.
Ive also uploaded a photo of the drawings from structural engineer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191021_191056_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20191021_191056_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 783
  • Screenshot_20191021_191129_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20191021_191129_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 431
  • Screenshot_20191021_191243_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20191021_191243_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 361
  • Screenshot_20191021_191056_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20191021_191056_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 381
  • Screenshot_20191021_191219_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20191021_191219_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Just for privacy, if I were you, I’d remove my address from the plans. (y)

Sponsored Links
Personal details removed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191021_194138.jpg
    Screenshot_20191021_194138.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 216
questions like this are really for your SE.
why not tie-in the gable straps to the rafters and joists wherever seems suitable without obstructing something else? noggins can be used if needed.

Gable walls do tend to randomly get pulled out by the occasional storm

Gable walls do tend to randomly get pulled out by the occasional storm
You don't believe in lateral restraint to walls then. Do 'woody regs' have any maximum permitted length and height for unrestrained walls :?:

You don't believe in lateral restraint to walls then. Do 'woody regs' have any maximum permitted length and height for unrestrained walls :?:
I nip down to the local Tudor mansion which has been standing for a few centuries, and measure the distance between the straps and restraints on those. If I can find any. :rolleyes:

I nip down to the local Tudor mansion which has been standing for a few centuries, and measure the distance between the straps and restraints on those. If I can find any. :rolleyes:
Can you check the external wall construction next time you are at the Tudor mansion :?::D

Attachments

• lincoln-city-cathedral-michaelgate-tudor-timbered-house-medieval-crooked-EYCXG8.jpg
    lincoln-city-cathedral-michaelgate-tudor-timbered-house-medieval-crooked-EYCXG8.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 157

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back