Attic insulation - one layer of glass wool under boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 1997 four-bed house is pretty warm and since buying it I've topped up the attic insulation with two extra layers of glasswool laid across each other making it toasty warm. In the exposed areas of the attic I must have around 450 - 500mm now.

However the middle of the attic (about 25%) is floored with T&G chipboard nailed down with ring shank nails, real barstewards to remove if you want to lift the boards. Under the boards is only one layer of glass wool, probably 100mm or whatever was standard at the time. I've got some spare glass wool left and wonder if it would be worth the effort of shifting all the old cases and cartons and lifting the boards to add the left over wool. How good is a thin layer of wool under chipboard as an insulator? I guess warm air must get trapped pretty effectively in the spaces between the joists?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back