Audi A3 Fault code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That dreaded engine management light... fault code P0441, anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Sponsored Links
This refers to the 'evaporative emmisions canister' being faulty......in friendlier terms, gases from the fuel tank are sucked towards a carbon canister where they are 'purified' before being ingested into the engine.
The valve which allows this to happen is electronic, and the fault often points towards this or leaks in the rubber pipes leading to the carbon canister.
John :)

This refers to the 'evaporative emmisions canister' being faulty......in friendlier terms, gases from the fuel tank are sucked towards a carbon canister where they are 'purified' before being ingested into the engine.
The valve which allows this to happen is electronic, and the fault often points towards this or leaks in the rubber pipes leading to the carbon canister.

Ah, thanks for the info Burnerman :) We've had the car only a few weeks, is this a big job repair/cost wise?

did you buy from a dealer???
if so no matter what they say about the warranty under the sale of goods act they must carryout repairs,you have 28 days to make sure there arnt any faults on the car,go over it with a fine tooth comb.
if private sale,your paying out of your own pocket.

Sponsored Links
did you buy from a dealer???
if so no matter what they say about the warranty under the sale of goods act they must carryout repairs,you have 28 days to make sure there arnt any faults on the car,go over it with a fine tooth comb.
if private sale,your paying out of your own pocket.

Yes, it was bought from a dealer, I mentioned the fault asked if he was prepared to repair, he responded by saying, no, and if we were not happy to return the car. I have since found out that it is his responsibility to make right the car. We are still waiting...

Presumably when you bought the car, the fault lamp wasn't on at the time....
Did the car come from a VAG dealer? If so, they should have come across the fault before.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, the carbon canister is behind the wheel arch liner driver side, and the valve somewhere in the pipe(s) leading to it.
Hopefully one of the pipes has just become porous, or popped off.

Been having same problem with wife's 2007 2.0 fsi.

I put some BG44k (fuel system cleaner £20) in with a full tank of petrol and it cleared the engine management light. It also cleans injectors and carbon sensors (so I'm told). It has made a vast difference with acceleration!

However it came on again recently and ATS advised us when they replaced our exhaust at a cost of £1000!, they didn't change the emissions canister. Therefore this seems to be the culprit. Will cost about £150 to supply and fit with ATS. Audi dealership may be twice that!

Was your car showing the same fault code, Neil?
Personally I've never replaced a carbon canister but I am having a vendetta with exhaust emissions at the moment.....getting the cat to meltdown temperature is a good move, but I'm also using a fuel treatment by Forte which is helping.

Pretty sure it was the same code. My wife had the engine management light reset a few times by ATS, they said it was engine emissions which I presume is the same code!

Due to the fact we have not heard back from the Dealership, the Finance company decided to take matters into their own hands :)

An engineer was sent down a couple days ago to look at the car, run test etc. Unfortunately, the EML didn't come on..... therefore he wasn't able to do very much except make a report.

He said when it comes back on again he will pop down and do the test.

We are hoping it will be something simple to correct.

Thanks for your replies by the way :)

If we are talking about the 2L FST/TFSI engine then I would recommend changing the canister purge valve :D follow the pipe from the charcoal canister over the engine to find the purge valve, the valve looks something like this.....

5226_x600.jpg

This looks like a non turbo FSI engine with the valve highlighted!

enginevw.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back