audi a3 how to change rear brake shoes at home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi have an audi a3 and was wondering if anyone can help i would like to change the reat brake shoes but it is proving difficult anybody got any good solutions to this. maxine

Sponsored Links
If unsure a Haynes manual will be a good buy.

Fairly straight forward, pads and disks I'd say on the back? Just jack up, put an axle stand under car before you start. Or at least something solid the jack is not to be trusted.

From memory: Loosen the bottom retaining bolt and this will allow the caliper to hinge upwards on the top bolt. Take pads out and push piston back in fully. Put the new pads into the caliper and replace bottom caliper bolt. Pump brakes to ensure no clearance between pads and disk.
The wheel should turn freely.

You may have one of the first A3's with non ABS brakes they might have had shoes on the back. In general shoes are harder to fit than pads.
Let us know where you are getting into trouble.

Sponsored Links
Hope you managed this ok, but I think you need an Audi caliper compresser tool but may be wrong.

Try the following link, go to A3 and look down the page to the 'How to' section and you will find detailed guidance for this job. Good luck.
Rob

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/

Back