Audi A4 1.9TDi-Loss Of Power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I own a Audi A4 1.9TDi (2003) annd I have recently discovered that when I am goin uphill and put my foot down the power goes and there is no push in the car!! There is no problem of this on flat or downhill roads!! Just thought I ask incase someone knows what the problem is? Hope its not as serious as I am making it out to be????

Thanks in advance!!

z

Sponsored Links
Ideally you want to get the car plugged into a fault code reader. May be something simple like a faulty sensor giving the wrong signals to the ecu.

Hi there ch427 the revs just drop, even tgough my foot is pressed to the floor the revs do not go up!!! The power just goes then when im on a flat surface its back to normal!!

Sponsored Links
doesnt sound like the clutch then,as stated a fault code read out is your best bet as its difficult to guess at

Sounds like either a leaking intercooler pipe or possibly a failed turbo. how many miles has it done?
Firstly, check all the large rubber pipes around the engine for splits/ loose fittings etc. You may also see some oil leaking out where the pipe is leaking.

Hi mate,

It has done over 100k miles! Also I have checked all the major pipes in the engine (as you mentioned) and i could not see any leakage or any loose pipes! Also the loss of power has not occured since I started this topic. Does this help with the diagnosis?

Also does anyone know where I may be able to get information about the problem I am having without a costly visit to the Audi garage!! ;)

Thanks forr your time!!

z

Naeem786 said:
Hi mate,

It has done over 100k miles! Also I have checked all the major pipes in the engine (as you mentioned) and i could not see any leakage or any loose pipes! Also the loss of power has not occured since I started this topic. Does this help with the diagnosis?

Also does anyone know where I may be able to get information about the problem I am having without a costly visit to the Audi garage!! ;)

Thanks forr your time!!

z

Where do you live? As previously mentioned, you should get it read.

I've a 2000 A4 1.9 tdi and had similar simptoms, although all the time. Local Seat dealer confirmed it was the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). Once replaced, all was well. Well worth having the codes read.

Jason

partially blocked intake manifold, or ERG valve. Common for these cars to get fouled with an oil and soot from exhaust gas mix when they have high mileage. Don't be tempted to use one of these engine cleanout sprays that you spray into the air intake. You run the risk of putting a large quantity of dirt into the engine and doing expensive damage.

To check the MAF, you could just unplug it and then drive it. The engine then should estimate the MAF reading and they usually run better with no MAF, instead of a faulty one.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys much appreciated.

I live in Halifax, West Yorks, does any one know where I could get the codes read? Maybe for free??? :LOL:

I think the next thing to check will be the MAF,thanx InTheBeginning2007.

z

have a look on here www.tdiclub.com maf is one of the main problems on vag tdi's. they can be very tempermental, un-plug it and go for a drive, it it drives better it is a failed maf, if it drives the same its not the maf. Check for any vacumn hoses that might have come off, there are loads all around the engine bay and can be a pain to spot if one has come partly off.

Sponsored Links
Back