Audio dropping out on TV channels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Experiencing a strange problem as regards audio dropping out on specific TV channels.

It appears to affect only the BBC HD channels.

Audio will suddenly disappear at random (sometimes a few minutes, sometimes longer), but if I select another channel and then return to the original the audio reappears until another drop out.

It doesn't happen on our other TV's, and also doesn't happen when putting a different TV on the same aerial connection.

TV is a Samsung UE37ES5500

I initially thought it might be a problem with the HD tuner, but it doesn't happen with ITV/CH4 HD channels.

Any ideas?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing it's an aerial problem.
But why with only one TV?

I've had problems with BBC SD on this same TV before which was solved by an attenuator, but this problem with the HD channels has just appeared.

How about trying this TV on another aerial point? I'm guessing it's something to do with the signal quality and the set buffers it until it reaches the max and you lose sound.

Sponsored Links
How about trying this TV on another aerial point? I'm guessing it's something to do with the signal quality and the set buffers it until it reaches the max and you lose sound.
Sorry, just spotted that I didn't put in 'and tried the TV at other locations with the same results' in the OP.

Go into the installation menu on BBC1HD and any other HD channel, check the signal strength and quality readings and report back. By that time one of our experts might have come up with the solution.

Go into the installation menu on BBC1HD and any other HD channel, check the signal strength and quality readings and report back. By that time one of our experts might have come up with the solution.
Ok I've got signal strength, but quality isn't listed - only 'bit error level'

For BBC1 HD signal strength 97, Bit error level 0
For ITV1 HD signal strength 98, Bit error level 0

And incidentally for SD
BBC1 SD signal strength 95, Bit error level 2000

Don't know if this helps at all, similar issue, no confirmed solution but the thread ends after someone suggests HDMI interference. Have you unplugged/removed everything interference generating near by just in case? There's references to faulty boards etc as well and attenuation of the signal.
I assume bit error level is a live/current reading of errors in a bit stream and not a threshold/tolerence level..

Don't know if this helps at all, similar issue, no confirmed solution but the thread ends after someone suggests HDMI interference. Have you unplugged/removed everything interference generating near by just in case? There's references to faulty boards etc as well and attenuation of the signal.
I assume bit error level is a live/current reading of errors in a bit stream and not a threshold/tolerence level..
Everything unplugged.
When the drop-out occurs again I'll check again, as I'm assuming that the readings are a 'snapshot' as the signal strength does occasionaly flutter by 1 up/down.

It's a Samsung/BBC problem, they haven't found a fix yet. I've had engineer round. He confirmed it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back