Aurora 12V with "in line" dimmers...crackle?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 3x 210W Aurora tranny and a Mode electronic dimmer (1000W). Each tranny is powering 4x 50W bulbs, eventually I will have 12 of them & 2x 35W (running off a 105W tranny).

I've wired up the 1x tranny with the dimmer and all seems to be fine, however when I dim the lights down the tranny seems to, well, crackle (like there is an electronic short). Even on full power it occasionally crackles....and also without the dimmer....

Any ideas? The tranny didn't do this before I wired in the dimmer...has something gone awry?

Also, the Aurora install 'manual' says no more than a 2m run from the tranny to the light....this seems kinda crazy and damn inconvenient. Can any one tell me why this is the case and impact if I ignore?

Thanks......

Sponsored Links
The tranny didn't do this before I wired in the dimmer...has something gone awry?

Is the transformer dimmable?
Is the dimmer compatable with the transformer
Some dimmers can't handle several transformers - have you exceeded the limit?

Also, the Aurora install 'manual' says no more than a 2m run from the tranny to the light....this seems kinda crazy and damn inconvenient. Can any one tell me why this is the case and impact if I ignore?

Thanks......

The current on the 12v side of the transformer is relatively high.
Do your ohms law: 200watts at 12volts is 17amps!
This means that you will drop a lot of volts if your cable is too long and as a result your lamps will be dim. Also the cable will need to be meaty otherwise it will fry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back