Wiring in LV lighting without using junction boxes

Its seems that you have adopted a defensive attitude here, im not critisising you,
I would generally temper my advice with good manners and refrain from trying to beat someone into submission on the subject, but i know this is not what you do.
Forgive me for interpreting an assertion that I do not temper my advice with good manners and that I attempt to beat people into submission as being critical.
Consider yourself forgiven.
mikhailfaradayski";p="1426950 said:
Another definition of 'ignorant' is an 'imprecise personal insult', i might suggest that the general context of how you use the word would be this description.
Forgive me for interpreting an assertion that I use the word "ignorant" as an insult as being critical.
Observational, not critical as such. If you interpret that as critical, do you see why others may apply a similar logic and infer that when you say ignorant, you are not being insulting?
merely tring to find out why you say the things you do.
I say the things I do to impart the meanings I wish to impart.

I use the word "ignorant" to impart the meaning of lacking in knowledge, not as an insult.
oic, thats clear then. I was just checking.
Your missing the point, its really you opinion/definition of the 'best possible' solution that i am interested in.
Block paving.
:)
In the dictionary/ies which you use, how far down the list of meanings do you have to read before you encounter one which says it's an insult?
Not far at all.
Is it ever listed as the most common meaning in current usage?
I don't know, probably.
This isn't a court of law, the burden of proof is not on me. However, in common terms, a lot of people will form their own judgement without absolute proof, but they will probably still be correct anyway.
If their judgement is that "ignorant" is an insult then they will be incorrect, possibly because of their ignorance of what the word means.
Unlikely
That sounds nice, roughly carries the same meaning, without the negative connotation.
One of the meanings is "lacking moral enlightenment". That seems a bit negative to me.
But its unlikely that we are talking about morality concerning the installation of lighting, so i would generally discount that in terms of this forum.
But others don't feel that way.
A failing of theirs, brought about by ignorance?
No, i dont see a failing, just due to a common conception by J.Public.
Do you feel the same when you suggest that they are being 'blindingly stupid'
No.
Really? When you say someone or their idea is blindingly stupid, you do not intend to insult that person. I see.
Nor do I feel the same when I suggest that they have said something helpful.

Nor do I feel the same when I suggest that they have done something well.

'unaware' would say the same thing without any suggestion of being inflammatory.
As I said before, I refuse to stop using a perfectly ordinary and apposite word just because one of its less common meanings might be considered inflammatory.
I was just inviting a person of your stature and capability to employ language which can't be mis-construed.
I like benighted, its nice. :)
Are you sure that you aren't saying that because you are uncultured?
yes, im not

Sponsored Links
I'm calling a halt to this.

It's going nowhere except into you repeating your benighted assertion that I should not use a particular word in a factual context because its least common usage of all is that of an insult.

English is a rich and diverse language, and I will not be a party to dumbing it down. I will not limit my vocabulary to words which the ill-informed or the perverse cannot mistakenly or maliciously misinterpret. To do so would make me no better than the execrable autofilter that this site uses.

I'm calling a halt to this.
Oh, OK.
It's going nowhere except into you repeating your benighted assertion that I should not use a particular word in a factual context because its least common usage of all is that of an insult.
My invition to you to use additional words to convey your feelings wasn't benighted. But never mind.
English is a rich and diverse language,
and will continue to live, so long as we feed it
and I will not be a party to dumbing it down.
I could be wrong, but i didn't imagine you to be the partying type.
I will not limit my vocabulary
wasn't asking you to, but never mind.
to words which the ill-informed or the perverse cannot mistakenly or maliciously misinterpret. To do so would make me no better than the execrable autofilter that this site uses.
whats execrable about the autofilter?

Try, without using special measures to bypass the filter, recounting how you were putting some bird food out, including a hanging coconut half to attract the tits, and on your return to the house you failed to notice a loose sod on the ground and you tripped over.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back