GU10 Spots in Place of LV DL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Just wondering if anyone could advise what the implications could be (if any) of replacing 3 LV downlights with 3 sets of 3xGU10 surface mounted spots. The current recessed LV downlights flicker which I presume is either due to the dimmer switch not handling the load or the transformers are not dimmable and we require more light anyway.

I've come across various info about de-rating of dimmers for GU10 lamps but not really sure what this means. I intend to use the existing wiring if possible. I think even with 9 50W GU10 spots the whole circuit should still be within the 1000w guideline for the whole circuit.

Any advice welcome! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just wondering if anyone could advise what the implications could be (if any) of replacing 3 LV downlights with 3 sets of 3xGU10 surface mounted spots.
People pointing out that GU10s are low voltage? ( ;) )
Higher electricity bills?
Greater contribution to climate change?

The current recessed LV downlights flicker which I presume is either due to the dimmer switch not handling the load or the transformers are not dimmable and we require more light anyway.
Can you imagine how bright it would be if you had, say, 2 traditional pendants, with a 100W and a 60W bulb?

Can you imagine challenging the lazy thinking of fixing a problem whose cause is stupidly ineffective light design by simply installing 3 times as many stupidly ineffective lights?

I've come across various info about de-rating of dimmers for GU10 lamps but not really sure what this means.
It means that, for example, a dimmer rated at 200W can only cope with 150W of GU10s.

I intend to use the existing wiring if possible. I think even with 9 50W GU10 spots the whole circuit should still be within the 1000w guideline for the whole circuit.
450W of lighting ought to boil your eyes. If it doesn't then you might like to consider if this is down to stupidly ineffective light design.

Any advice welcome! Thanks.
My pleasure.

Thanks for that! Points taken :D

The three downlights did serve their purpose but the room in question is now to be used mainly as an artists studio hence the need for more light and directional light. As the room will occasionally be used as a guest bedroom the lights need to be dimmable.

Maybe three sets is overkill! Any other suggestions? Of course GU10's are LV :oops: Are all GU10 lamps dimmable or does it depend on the type of lamp?

Sponsored Links
LED lamps can be dimmable but you'll need the right kit and it is not cheap. Whilst they can be quite bright, the colour is harsh on the eyes (IMO) and they are very directional. My guess is that for some sort of work studio they won't meet your needs.

Having just tested some 11W CFL dowlights myself, I think they're very good: Good light & 'colour' and good beam spread. They are quite big though, so not sure what you're fitting would look like.

Halogens are the best for dimming, but they are inefficient. You can get ELV versions from Philips and Osram which are more efficient, but also more expensive.

Seems to me that your dimming requirement is minor. So either just have some floor or table lamps for when it is used as a bedroom, or maybe use dimmable CFLs.

Most of all I'd recommend that you get some lamps and try them yourself. BAS is absolutely right - 9 50W halogens is a HUGE amount of light (and heat). You can't really design a lighting system on paper (as I feel I have proved to myself).

GU10 also available with xenon gas... much brighter, which can be turned down with a dimmer.
Most std dimmers handle between 60 and 400w range. But there are domsectic dimmers which go up to 600w or 1000w.

In terms of energy a 50w LV lamp uses the same power as a 50w GU10 lamp.

Buy GU10s also come in different beam angles.

Thanks for the info.

Yes Dippy, I read your 'experiments with downilights' post, seems like you know how to enjoy yourself!! Seriously though... very useful, ta.

Okay, I suggested one set of 3 spots but others insist on 2 sets, so, does anyone know where I can get a 2G 400W dimmer switch (plain white) (to control the 6 spots together) that will replace the existing 2G 250W dimmer (the other switch controls 5A light sockets)?

I was under the impression that megamann were the best brand to use. But I am aware that varilight make CFLs too. Perhaps their dimmable GU10 CFLs come to full brightness immediately? One would think they would, when set at full brightness. I have one of their normal shape dimmable CFLs and it is great :D

I've yet to try any of the dimmable ones. The original Megaman ones weren't properly dimmable, but now they are, as is at least one other make.

I've read occasional grumbles about Megaman in the past, but about reliability not performance.

For ordinary CFLs I'm very pleased with the GE Tech Extra Mini lamps...

varilight uses different technology from the other 'dimmable' CFLs and is widely regarded in the industry as the best at dimming CFLs...

unfortunately, varilight don't have dimmable GU10 CFLs as of yet so we must put up with the limited dimming range of the megaman lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back