Auto Air Vent Srew Cap Loose Or Tight !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Seems to be a vast variation of opinion to whether the Auto Air Vent plastic screw cap should be left permanently loose or screwed tight after the initial pressuring of a combination boiler, to try and go with the majority what are your opinions today may I ask?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Loose.
Unless it leaks, then you can close it until you replace it as long as you check it frequently.

Sponsored Links
I always use a AAV like a thumb vent and tighten it after venting as the bleedin (no pun intended) always leak.

kevplumb said:
Wonder why Honeywell say to screw down tight afterwards?

good point don't make any sense to me :eek:

Thats what I thought, also when purchasing replacement today from proper boiler part shop (not plumber merchant) I asked the same question and was told to screw tight!

Like you say, it would not be an Auto Air Vent!

I did in fact go with an educated guess and used the leave loose option!

kevplumb said:
Wonder why Honeywell say to screw down tight afterwards?

good point don't make any sense to me :eek:
Well I didn't believe it and had to check it out on page 2 HERE

Where AAV's have been fitted in boilers I can't say I have seen one yet where it didn't say to loosen the cap. Maybe some of them do and I havent noticed.

corgiman said:
I always use a AAV like a thumb vent and tighten it after venting as the bleedin (no pun intended) always leak.

I agree.

Some boilers don't even use an aav which has a cap, or cap is not provided. Non state to shut it after initial use.

I think they should stick a manual vent on top of the boiler.

yup it seems all different. some have caps, some dont. some say leave open some dont.

Do what u feel :D

If an exisiting istalation with no air probs i shut it,if new i leave it open to get rid of last bits of air.

I know this is an old thread
BUT
If I've closed one of these valves by mistake, and air has got into my system (by draining a pipe) , could this be the cause of my rads not heating up?
Cheers

It obviously could be. Depends on the amount of air that entered the system. Are the upstairs radiators the ones that are cold. Are they hot at the bottom?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back