auto log off Broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having to record a radio programme from 11pm to 2am. Not being a night owl this involves leaving the computer on line all night. This is gobbling up my download time. I have found a program that will logoff dial up internet at a preset time. Has anyone come across a similar program that will do the same with Broadband? TIA

Sponsored Links
maltaron said:
...this involves leaving the computer on line all night. This is gobbling up my download time.
I don't understand what you mean. Broadband is intended to be an 'always on' connection, so what is your PC doing that's "gobbling up" time? :confused:

Softus,
The OP could be on a CAP broadband agreement where they are charged if they use more than a set amount of bandwidth, usually 5 or 10GB a month.
Well you're right, and I had thought of that, but surely the OP wouldn't have written "time" if he meant something else.

BTW, if you'll permit me to be uncharacteristically picky for a moment, bandwidth isn't a capped commodity, because it's a transient rate, not a cumulative quantity of bytes.

Sponsored Links
I stand corrected in my use of words.
But you know what I meant.
It all depends upon either a cap or fair user policy if he is going to be charged for exceeding his download limit.
Still, found him some free software to do what he wants.
dave

Many thanks to all who replied. Just to clear up a couple of points: first, computer is downloading all night and 5 nights a week and I have download limit of 5Gb. second, thanks to Dave m for the prog, unfortunately, this only hangs up dial up internet. I cannot shut down the computer because the downloads need to be saved to listen later. If I can find or modify a prog to disconnect my wifi this would solve the problem.

maltaron said:
Many thanks to all who replied. Just to clear up a couple of points: first, computer is downloading all night and 5 nights a week and I have download limit of 5Gb.
In that case your download limit is inadequate - pay for more. :idea:

Thanks Tim, thought about this but wondered whether the router would be happy with continuous on-off?

Sponsored Links
Back